Making Oxbow Mush

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velo

What's the easiest way to make a "smooth" mush out of Oxbow?
I've been soaking the blocks in water then mashing with a fork, but I only get small chunks. I want something smaller.
I have a blender / food processor.
Should I blend/process them wet or dry?
Thanks!

Oxbow s really hard to get to mash up. the lab blocks turn into a perfect mush. I wonder if maybe breakthing them or smashing htem up prior? I just soak them in hot water for a while then mix them up but If remember correctly the oxbow keeps it form.

Are you trying to put weight on him? I take a mix of one box baby rice cereal, 12 scoops baby soy formula, and a cup or two of ground (blender) oxbow. I store it until needed then mix with either water or ensure.

As for just oxbow - usually just soften it with water. However, it does not soften very well with ensure - not sure why.

I make wet oxbow every morning and every evening for Bastien and Tachee. All I do is put water in a tiny dish, place in microwave for 35 seconds. Add oxbow. Wait 15 to 20 minutes and they become giant wet puff balls. My oldies love it!

Oxbow s really hard to get to mash up. the lab blocks turn into a perfect mush. I wonder if maybe breakthing them or smashing htem up prior? I just soak them in hot water for a while then mix them up but If remember correctly the oxbow keeps it form.

It is really hard to mash up, it's weird.
Maybe I will get some HT then?
I tried smashing a Ziploc baggie of it this morning, it worked a little better but I couldn't get it to turn into like a powder.

Are you trying to put weight on him? I take a mix of one box baby rice cereal, 12 scoops baby soy formula, and a cup or two of ground (blender) oxbow. I store it until needed then mix with either water or ensure.

As for just oxbow - usually just soften it with water. However, it does not soften very well with ensure - not sure why.

Yup, he's pretty stable except his weight. Trying to get him to gain without Rizzy getting EVEN FATTER. She's so chunky.
Baby soy formula? I will put that on my list... Is there a flavor you get? Was gonna grab some Ensure too.
Gonna try some ground flax too, Golan said it may help his fiber since his poop is so soft.
He likes the rice cereal, I just need to get more actual block into him too.
So you can get it to grind in a blender? You grind it dry, right? Will give that a go tonight.

I make wet oxbow every morning and every evening for Bastien and Tachee. All I do is put water in a tiny dish, place in microwave for 35 seconds. Add oxbow. Wait 15 to 20 minutes and they become giant wet puff balls. My oldies love it!

Unfortunately the puff balls aren't working.
He's had that available but he won't eat anything that isn't essentially a smoothie.
So I'm trying to find a way to make the Oxbow into something that mixes in with soy milk or Ensure or baby food, etc that isn't chunky in the slightest.
Basically trying to "liquify" it or turn it into a powder that I can scoop in (like a protein powder or like powder hot cocoa, ya know?). He doesn't like even the small chunks.

I will break out my blender tonight and experiment. I was shocked I couldn't crush them into a true powder. @_@;

Last edited:
Powdered soy formula - no flavor, doesn't come in any.

Yes, I can get oxbow into a powder in the blender - on grind, I think

They lose weight fast from the heavy breathing. They love avocados !!

Ah okay thanks!
He will eat some avocado but I'm trying to come up with stuff to leave in the cage for the many hours I am gone per day... and avocados go nasty FAST or at least mine do, but I do think I have exceptionally bad luck with them

I did manage to make a powder!
Using a personal blender and then getting the bigger pieces into dust by smashing with a glass bottle.
And luckily it's now small enough to mix in with baby cereal/baby food/ensure/etc that he will eat it!

I must say, it should be criminal how much the charge for infant formula though! He seems to like a scoop on his food though. Thanks for that dspch!

I haven't had a chance to try my soft oxbow in the blender yet, but I'm hoping to make some "smoothies" to keep in the fridge for the week out of it later.

Thanks everyone. :) I will be weighing him again soon and hopefully my new tactics will be winning.

Wishing the best for your baby. I have had to make Oxbow mush also for my girl that had PT. I would just soak it overnight in plenty of water.

Thanks guys, I'm feeling confident now that I've found a way to get oxbow in him. Just wish I was home more to feed him.
He just got a mix of crushed oxbow, formula, ensure, peach baby food, baby rice cereal and rice pudding and ate a ton.
I will say the girls do love the classic puffed wet oxbow.. I read it here, someone said something like "add water to oxbow and they act like it's a treat". Rocky is a bit more picky and makes me work harder.

I do feel bad for anyone with a human baby who need formula. The 25$ tin I got will last a long time with Rocky but I imagine wouldn't last long for a human baby. u_u

Last edited:
Back