Making a rat Cube

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattylover

I was wondering if anyone has a pattern or instructions on how to make a rat cube, or something like that. I dont really want to buy one because my sis is something of a whiz at sewing, and she has like piles of fleece, so if someone could help me out, that would be awesome! :lol:

So I made my first cube today, following the directions in the 2nd post (The flickr album). Very good directions and the pictures are so helpful. It was not difficult at all (although I would add that you should clip the seam allowance on the circle, before you turn it right side out -- this will help with the bunching -- and then run the stitching around the outside of the circle to hold it nice and flat.)

The only problem was that there were no sizes mentioned. So I cut all my squares 300 mm x 300 mm. The cube is HUGE, and the rats have to JUMP or DIVE into the hole to get inside, and then it's quite a feat for them to get back out again! LOL.

Next one needs to be smaller, and I'll need to adjust the position of the hole to line up better with the shelving so they have easier access in and out.

But all in all, GREAT INSTRUCTIONS. Thank you!

:D
Well its nice to know you had success with it... I was thinking about making one when I asked the question and Im glad someone has tried it and it worked well =p

Update: Our rats, for some reason, did not fancy being INSIDE the cube. Spent the entire day snoozing on top of it. Maybe it's because the bottom droops down too much when they go inside, rather than being a solid bottom that doesn't move.

As soon as I removed the cube and put back the hammock, all 3 hopped into the hammock.

Well, at least I know I can make the cubes easily.
Does anybody want a slightly used, slightly large cube? LOL

LOL!! If your rats dont like it then I doubt I will have any luck. Hammocks in my cage dont even get used so.......yeah I doubt a cube would.

Back