losing hair

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just lightly rubbed his belly witch he normally loves, but this time he made a squeaking sound..i checked his tummy for anything and he squeaked again, everytime i touch his tummy he squeaks, any ideas? do you think hes in pain or just very irritated from the mites?

Treating for mites would be the first thing to do with what you've described. A lot of people use Revolution from the vets and it works well. And a lot use Panomec (which is Ivermectin) from a feed store and it works well, it comes in an injector tube but you must put it all in another container and stir it up well to use the tiny dose they need.
It'll cost a fair bit up front either way. I don't know about the dosage for Revolution, be sure you check on the site here to find the right dosage, I sure don't think its a whole dose. The Panomec will give you enough doses for a bunch of rats multiple times, you won't run out ever, you just chuck it at the expiry date.

Thanks im taking him to the vet tomoro so ill buy some there, i hope he stops itching soon (after treatment) because i feel so bad for him!!

thanks to everyone who commented!!

So my vet me not to bring him in, but to try flea shampoo..i told him there mites, he said it should still get rid of them..if not bring him in on monday.....what you all think?

So i took him to the vet, he doesn't have mites, but he is lactose intolerant ..they gave me a special oil to feed him a shampoo and hell be fine :happydance:

i gave him a tiny piece of cheese like once every 2 weeks(also my bf was giving him a decent amount of dried corn witch has alot of fat duh, he didnt no tho).. the vet said the reason his hair was falling out was because the fat was coming out his pores thats what the shampoo is for, he said it will take about 2 weeks to get all the yellowish fatty skin off his back,then he should be back to normal..I had no idea they were lactose intolerant, i kinda figured it wouldnt be the best thing to feed him, thats why i hardly ever gave it to him, he just liked it so much..im gunna watch what i give him from now on(and make sure my bf ISNT feeding him!)..this was all totally preventable had i looked it up first, now that i know im gunna be so much more careful, and make sure its okay for him to eat the treat!!

It's true that high fat and high protein can cause dermal issues especially in males. Give it a go... and if he's still having problems after a couple of weeks, then I'd see a different vet in order for a mite treatment.

What is your rats regular food?
Um i feed him Fiesta Max for rats..Oats, Baby Romaine leaves, Dandelions, carrots..and sometimes peas, he'll eat pretty much any veggie i give em but those are his favs..and a home made whole wheat crouton at bed time! (i try to make sure he has a big salad at bedtime, very hungry growing lil boy!)

The vet i saw today specialized in rodents actually so id hope he knows what hes talking about!! He said he would call me in 13 days to check up, if it hasnt gotten better by then bring him in and he'll treat him for mites

That is good that you were able to find one. What vet office did you end up with? I know from experience how hard it can be to find a good vet so that's why I posted that one since they work with the rescue.

I forgot to add, a lot of people don't like Kaytee rat foods. You would probably be better off with a block such as Hagen Extrusion that doesn't allow the rat to pick and choose and ensures they get all the nutrients they need.

I cant remember the name right now ive got major pregnancy brain, something Lonsdale :doh: ..thanks ill try those kinds of food cuz he really does just pick out the stuff he likes.. i end up throwing alot of it out, he'll prolly like it better i feel like the fiesta max is really just colorful and not the most healthy choice, ive looked for others..but i havent seen any other kinda, but now i know a specific brand to look for! thanks

No problem. The Hagen actually says hamster but it's perfect for rats and is what many of us feed our guys. Mine actually prefer the taste over the Harlan Teklad that is recommended for nutrition.

Back