Little fuzzy on quarantine

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DadRat

Backround info:

We have 2 boys, Dom and Jacob, who are brothers and our first rats. They are slightly over a year old and are very much fun. They have recently gotten a new cage [used Marshall ferret cage for cheap] and we now have room to expand our fur family. They boys have always appeared to be in decent health.

Found 2 boys on Craigslist, they are 12 and 13 months old, purchased one and then another because it appeared lonely. They are from a Petco [sigh], but have been in a home environment ever since [although they will think they have died and gone to fuzzy heaven when the find their new cage, their current one is very cramped] and frequently handled and played with. The owner is rehoming them because her child has developed an allergy to them.

My question is what quarantine procedures do I need to take? Our boys have never been sick, and neither have the 2 we are looking at according to the seller. We live in an apartment complex, so a seperate airspace is not really possible. We can seperate them in different rooms, and wash hands between touching. What other steps would you suggest when introducing new adults into an environment?

Check with the people and see if their 2 boys have been exposed to other rats. If so, approx. how long ago. How long have they had them?

I would get them vet checked and treated with revolution on the way home from picking them up or as soon as possible after you have them.
As for a partial quarantine, separate rooms for at least 2 weeks, handle them after you have finished with your boys, some precautions used with a full quarantine are shower, change clothes, clean out your nose as airborn germs can live there for some time. Might be useful to do these if possible.

When introing new rats, there are established, gradual steps to follow.

I agree with SQ.
Treating for mites is a must when bringing in new rats. And like you mentioned, separate rooms, hand washing will help as well.

Depends if you are willing to trust the people or not

If they regularly shop at Petco or go to shelters or what not, these kids won't be quarantined at all and even if they might be fine now, if these folks broke qt in teh last few weeks they could still get sick with SDA and Sendai.

Personally after doing rescue for many years and seeing that most people have no freaking clue when their rat is sick... I don't take any chances whatsoever and any rat goes into a quarantine home. In 99% of cases where we took in owner surrenders who were supposedly healthy, there was at least something wrong... most of the time we're talking mites/lice and/or respiratory issues but there have been other issues as well.

We've had rats with major respiratory problems come in where the people thought that their rats were talking to them...

Sorry to be a downer but it is not worth the risk in my book. All it takes is one rat....

Back