Litter training, why do I keep trying?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

Well, here we go again :roll: I've been trying to litter train my boys since I got them and I'm determined to do it!!! They are almost 10 months old :wrong:
So I rigged up a litter box this past weekend and I scrubbed out their cage today and laid down a baby blanket in their cage so it would seem different and put their litter box filled with their regular bedding and some soiled bedding in it so it smells like a litter box :poop: and put it in the corner where they tend to leave their droppings but not 5 minutes later I checked on them and there was poop in another spot so I dutifully picked it up and put it in the litter box and I intend to put them in the box. Am I crazy to keep trying to train them? :lol7:
My boyfriend said he'd bet money that I couldn't train them, any advice to prove him wrong? :eek:k:

I'll show pics later

Edit: here are the pics sorry about the size :(

the litter box I made, I secured it to the side of the cage with velcro
IMG_21631.jpg

part of the cage, sorry about the darkness, my guys hate the flash
IMG_21651.jpg

another part of the cage
IMG_21661.jpg

The whadda want now? pic
IMG_21671.jpg

And the special soup day, yum
IMG_21601.jpg

I have 3 boys who I thought would never be litter trained. Then one day I added a little wire basket to their cage with the intention of it being for them to sleep or play in. Next thing I knew not only was it full of poop but it was the only place in the cage that was peed and pooped in. I was totally surprised. They've been using it ever since for their toilet duties. So it was a matter of the right type of container in the right place at the right time. Who knew??

All of my rats thus far have figured it out within a couple of days. Maybe it's just a girl thing.. or maybe it's my OCD rat Penn.. Either way, I've had success with doing the same thing you're doing.

I also have several litterboxes, not just one. So wherever they like to go, put a litterbox. I have one in the back corner of the base, and then 2 on the middle level on either side. Other than a stray pile here and there, they're very good about it.

Back