Lining Your FN

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Karma

Hip hip horray! I got my FN yesterday!

I got it all set up and its awesome to see all the room the boys have in it! It is definitely the best cage ever.

I was wondering how you guys all line your FN - i put fleece blankets down and tucked the edges but the boys pulled them all up in the night. I was wondering if there was a trick to it?

Also, just wondering, how many rats can a 142 FN hold?

Will post pics in the FN thread when i have it the way i want it!

Tara

I don't have a FN but I hope to be getting one soon. But from what I understand most people use small bricks or rocks to weigh down the corners of the liners.

CongRATS!!

Ya, my gang do lift them up, I just go tuck it in again. It's a never ending cycle with us. lol

If you use one of the online rat cage calculator it will say 12 rats in a 142. But personally, I wouldn't go more than 10.

You can fasten them under the pan with Velcro. It all depends how determined they are.

I have ordered some custom liners from Javakittie, and I am really excited to see how they look in the cage. To deter my gang from tunnelling and/or chewing them, I will put another blanket loosely on top of the main levels so that they can burrow under that.

What about a pillow case style approach... ? I am going to try this with mine and I'll let everyone know how it works. I'm going to measure the tray liner for the bottom and just make a fleece sleeve for it (Like a pillow case, and then stick some velcro on the edge to fold under the extra and make it stick closed. Then they can only pull it up on one side, and I could turn it over to use both sides of the thing.... it's an untested idea.... but It might work. :D

I know some people who have tried the pillowcase idea for the pans have had very bad results. The way the pans are set up, it causes alot of tension on the edges/corners of the liners. Since the liner is pulled tighter in the corners, the ratties have ample assistance in mauling the liners very quickly.

I just let my girls pull them up and I just tuck them back under. If I fasten mine down they will chew huge holes in the liners "f-you mom I am getting to the plastic no matter what, and yes that means chewing HUGE holes in that stupid pink stuff you put down." :twisted:

The one time I tried to keep them from pulling up the liner up I literally ended up with an entire bottom liner destroyed they chewed huge holes in all four corners and there was fleece everywhere. So I just let them do what they want and I just retuck. They don't chew on them now.

I'll tell mine that if they chew holes in their nice new liners, I'll develop a taste for BBQed rat or a rat-fur hat. Of course, they will believe me and quake in their boots.... :)

Back