Lethargy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly&Binx'sMum

Hello! This is my first post, so let me know if I do it wrong..... :wink:
I was playing with my girls this evening and Molly was super lazy. They tend to alternate energy; sometimes Binx is crazy and sometimes Molly won't keep still. But I've never seen her THIS mopey. Does their heat cycle include times of lethargy? Is it possible that she's just getting older and her cycle affects her more? Is she depressed that she's not having babies? (Ok, so that one's probably not it, but I tend to anthropomorphize a bit... :giggle: )
Does anyone have experience with girls getting stand-offish? Molly's usually my happy people-rattie, so I'm worried.....
thanks!

Hey there, it is nice to see that you decided to join, girls! :)

What are the girls ages? Are they showing any other signs of something being wrong? Things like not eating or drinking, shallow or laboured breathing, staining around the nose and eyes? Has it been particularily hot recently? Things like that.
As rats get older they do tend to slow down, and some slow down faster than others. And I guess it is possible that she is feeling a bit unwell but it might turn out to be something that passes and she might be fine in a day or so.
I would be concerned if she is showing other symptoms, or not eating and drinking.
If you can't really tell if she is eating or drinking, because of her having a cagemate, then offer her some watered down babyfood or a human supplement like Boost or Ensure.
If she doesn't improve in a couple of days then I would suggest that she be taken in to be checked out by a vet.

Hi!

I've never noticed any lethargy related to their cycle.
Like Vanessa already mentioned, there are other factors to consider like age, temperature in the home etc...
And like you already answered yourself, I'm 99% sure ratties don't get depressed due to lack of babies. :wink:

She seems a bit better today. I have changed their routine a bit (I've been trying to get pictures of them and they're soooo camera shy. I've changed their play area around and taken them out at different times.) I'm probably just over-reacting. But they're my first ratties and I'm a hyper-sensitive mommy.
I'll give it a few days and see if she perks back up. Thanks! :cool2:
p.s. I love all these emoticons. I'll surely be overusing them shortly. =)

I have noticed that too with my gang, sometimes all they need is a change of routine.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your sweeties!

Had the girls our for quite a while yesterday and Molly seems to be back to her normal happy self. :bliss:
She's my easy-going girl who loves to leap from couch to couch and off my arms onto the cushions. She's also back to grooming me (which my eyelashes aren't too happy about.)
I also noticed that Binx is upset that Molly's back to normal. While Moll was sluggish, Binx played with me more. Now Molly is back, and Binx took to digging the stuffing out of the cushions. She's such a jealous sister!:rant2:
Anyway, thanks for the support!

moon said:
Sounds like your girls might just be having rattie teenage tiffs. LOL

HAHAHA! You're so right! Binx pouts like I've just told her she can't go to the movies with boys! She even has her pouting spot that she runs to whenever I scold her. She puffs up her fur and stares at me from the window sill. What a teenager :snooty:

Hi! You sound like a really loving mommy :D And you're sure in the right place to get the best support & help.
Welcome!!!!

Molly&Binx'sMum said:
Hello! This is my first post, so let me know if I do it wrong..... :wink:
I was playing with my girls this evening and Molly was super lazy. They tend to alternate energy; sometimes Binx is crazy and sometimes Molly won't keep still. But I've never seen her THIS mopey. Does their heat cycle include times of lethargy? Is it possible that she's just getting older and her cycle affects her more? Is she depressed that she's not having babies? (Ok, so that one's probably not it, but I tend to anthropomorphize a bit... :giggle: )
Does anyone have experience with girls getting stand-offish? Molly's usually my happy people-rattie, so I'm worried.....
thanks!

The girls I had when I was a girl used to get crabby but nothing bad ever came of it. The boys I have now can get standoffish, especially Ben.

I am safely assuming that rats are just as capable of mood swings as humans are so unless she appears to be suffering from something (porphyrine staining around the eyes, sneezing, wheezing, coughing) I would not worry too much.

Maybe she had an argument with her cagemate. Ben and Basil get grumpy if they miss out on a treat because the other rat was a glutton. :D

jennifervb said:
The girls I had when I was a girl used to get crabby but nothing bad ever came of it. The boys I have now can get standoffish, especially Ben.

I am safely assuming that rats are just as capable of mood swings as humans are so unless she appears to be suffering from something (porphyrine staining around the eyes, sneezing, wheezing, coughing) I would not worry too much.

Maybe she had an argument with her cagemate. Ben and Basil get grumpy if they miss out on a treat because the other rat was a glutton. :D

I'm SO glad you said this! I think my husband sees this, too, but other people I've talked to just laugh at me when I say they're in "a mood." I'll have people over and tell them how the girls like to be played with, but no-one seems to get it. They really DO have moods like humans, and if you fuss with my girls, they're gonna get pissy!
I will consider this official documentation and I will refer to it in the future (with citation). :tongwigl:

I've noticed the same thing too in my colonies. Some get pretty grumpy some days and won't even come out for free range. Of course when it's time to go back in, they want out. lol

That's a thought, I'll see if it helps. But my three Wildthings go back home on their own,(when I tell them to) they don't want the big hand to pick them up. hehehe It might confuse them.

Back