Leptospirosis

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lepto is from wild animals not the domestic variety, like our rats :)

Dogs often get it from walking through infected puddles of urine (raccoons are the danger here more than other animals), a human can get it from the dog. It can be fatal for animals and makes humans very very sick. There are Lepto vaccines offered in vet clinics now and if you have a cat that goes outdoors or a dog I highly advise getting this added to their regime of shots. :)

Enough, that vets should be pushing the vaccine on petowners for their dogs and some cats.
I read the poster in my vet's old office many times while waiting in the lobby..hehe.

There are hundreds of different leptospiral strains (serovars). Lepto vaccines traditionally only contain two serovars - canicola and icterohaemorrhagiae. However, studies show that most cases of lepto in dogs involve the serovars pomona and grippotyphosa, which made the lepto vaccine virtually ineffective. Vaccines that protect against pomona and grippotyphosa are now available. If you are going to have your dog or cat vaccinated against lepto - be sure that the vaccine protects against those two strains.

Back