Leona and her chf

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Leona has a vet apt for tomorrow.
Leona has chf and has been on heart meds incl. digoxin + lasix for some time. She is also on a bronch. dilator, pred. and antibiotics (zithro + baytril).
Over the last few days, Leona spends her time breathing. She seems weak and I may not be getting enough oxygen - she wasn't on Friday when I had her in to the vet. She isn't gasping, just uses a lot of effort to breath. She has been unwilling to take her meds over the last few days ... likely because it makes breathing more difficult.
I have been able to syringe some of her meds into her but most winds up on me.
Leona doesn't seem as ill as other rats I have had but I will likely be having her pts tomorrow as this is no way for her to live. Plus my situation is such that if she were to take a bad turn, vet care at short notice would be impossible. I really don't want to do this ...

Any suggestions?

Mixed her meds a bit thicker tonight and she took them from the syringe. She even licked a small amount off my finger.

Elizabeth and Robin, also with chf are also getting worse ...

CHF sucks. You can only change up or increase the meds for so long, eventually the heart cannot take anymore and you have to have them pts :(

I am sorry Holly. :sad3:

Oh poor Leona :sad3: Is she getting very thin too? i.e is she still eating ok, despite her breathing issues?

We just don't use steroids with heart issues here, since it can be hard on their heart. Discontinuing the steroids might not be enough though :sad3: . However, I do wonder if already having a heart issue, then adding the steroids and bronchialdialtor might be making her heart work too hard. Both can speed up their heart rate. So this could add to breathing issues too.

Our little Tim had some serious heart issues. We hit him with Baytril, doxy, lasix, enalapril and nebulizer treatements. It helped for only so long...then he grew very thin (too much work to eat) and the gasping fits did start. When those start...it's most kind to help them to the bridge.

I might guear Leona on if she's eating, and possibly see if you can try weaning her off the steroids (how long has she been on them?).

Leona has only been on the steriods a very short time ... added them to help her breath last week. Presently weaning her off.

Leona was a bit better last night and again today so she is still with me. She has been willing to take her meds and baby cereal out of a syringe both days.
The vet wasn't comfortable with having her pts today so we are both hoping this small improvement is the antibiotics kicking in and not the upswing before the crash.
At least her colour was good today. When I had her to the vet last Friday to see about having her pts, she wasn't getting enough oxygen.

Today I had 5 ratties with me to the vet. ( Leona, 3 of her sisters - Robin, Elizabeth & Esther; and Paul - Liverpool boy). All are in about the same condition. :sad3:

Anyway, hoping for a bit more quality time.

I'm glad to hear Leona is feeling a bit better. I hope she'll continue to hang in there and possibly do a bit better on the new meds.

Sending good thoughts to all your little ones.

All 7 ratties with respir problems (3 at least with chf) are still doing reasonably well.
I am quite surprised. We have been having a heat wave with large temp. changes from day to day. I have been afraid that some of the more frail ratties might pass or need to be pts as a result but everyone is doing reasonably well.
Hoping Hurricane Bob will stay at sea and bring cooler temps with less humidity to the maritimes.

Leona Francis ....

September20Leonaeatingegg.jpg

Leona enjoyed a piece of boiled egg today.

Leona improved a bit after her meds were doubled but sadly, her breathing has gotten much much worse over the last two days.
Leona can not be nebulized as it just fills her lungs even worse with fluid. Lasix 4 times a day does not clear those lungs but does leave her dehydrated and needing sub-Q fluids ...
I thought an emergency vet visit might be needed last night but she didn't get quite bad enough.
I will be calling the vet in the morning .... :sad3:

The vet did a narcropsy.
Leona's lungs looked good ...
he was unable to find anything wrong (her large heart was found on xray months prior to her death)

A full post would need to be performed to find out exactly what was going on in her body. That would require multiple tissue testing and that cost a lot of money.
I've had a few of mine where I thought they were dying of pneumonia when in fact they had clear lungs but a huge PT.
Very strange...

I wondered about the possibility of something neurological in addition to the large heart. When Corrie had to be pts it was because of a sudden onset of respiratory distress, with clicking noises. In retrospect I realized that she had had some neurological signs for a long time (increased clumsiness, then for the last few days an inability to eat solid food).

With Leona, maybe either the heart had become so large that it was pressing on her lungs & trachea and inhibiting respiration, or maybe a PT was pressing on the respiratory centre of the brain?

Back