Leaving rats alone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilez_n_hugs

I know its never good to go away and leave the rats alone but I was just wondering if its ok to do every once and a while for 2 nights max or whether its better to be taking them with me? I'm just wondering which would be less stressful for my boys?

We have left our rats for a weekend if they are all healthy. Make sure there is extra food and change their water just before you leave on Friday.

Ann

If you're going to a place where the rats won't get harmed or stressed out by heaps of people and noise (or whatever else there may be), than I'd take them with you. I've done that in the past. I hate leaving my animals unattended as I always worry about them.

See I'm going home to my parents house, which was the boys first home and they have another cage there because both the cages I have are too big to transport. The only thing that concerns me is that the weather is starting to get cold and I didnt want it to harm them during transport or the change in environment to cause unnecessary stress.

I've traveled with rats through colder temperatures and there was not much stress involved.
I think either way is ok, a couple of days away is ok or bringing them with you works too. What makes you more comfortable?

Thanks for the question, there are some rat noobs that might need that information.
I'd like to get my guys socialized enough to take them with me now and then, but I would have to be absolutely certain they wouldn't run off and go into deep hiding.
The other thing would be about the extra food. Would they eat their fill and hide everything else? It seems that way right now, one piece gets eaten, one piece is stored.

I think it's great that you have a choice, with a spare cage at your parents' place. I have left mine for up to two days when they were young & healthy, but I would prefer to take them if it weren't for the huge production of packing up cages etc.

Most places I visit are not places that I could take my rats, so I leave them with a sitter.

anyway, you should do what feels best for you. This time of year is not too cold. If you limit your stops, and if you have some extra blankets in case of car breakdown, you should be OK for travelling.

I have left mine alone for long weekends. They are usually fine, I did come home once to find a foot injury but thankfully it wasn't major. If you leave them, just be prepared for chaos once you let them out!

Back