Larry and Daisy going to the vet today - resp/blood in ear

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

Been keeping an eye on Larry for the last few days as he has been getting wheezy. Saturday I started him on baytril and doxyand then last night he had a little gasping episode so he got a dose of pred and aminophylline (no rat vets available last night) he will be seeing the vet this afternoon as that is the first we could get. He doesn't seem to be responding to the antibiotics, hopefully she will do an xray so we know for sure.

Daisy, my sweet little old lady, I found blood in her ear last night.. :(
She's 38 months old and has two mammary tumors she recently developed which is why we did not take them off because of her age. I'm afraid the discharge from the ear is PT related as she hasn't quite been right with using her front paws for the last month or so, though it never progressed further than that. I gave her some pred last night in case it was inflammation in her ear/head and we will see what the vet says this afternoon.

Jen

Went to a new vet up in my area today, exoctics vet, she is good. Daisy has a small type of mass, vet said polyp, in her left ear canal. She put her on some drops for that ear that have a steroid in them along with abs to prevent infection. She is not thinking PT as she is still eating and she said the left ear definitely looks different from the right, structure wise with the polyp or whatever. So we will hope the drops ease any discomfort for now. I don't think she's ready to go yet, she still loves fighting over the food bowl :lol:

Larry is home with fresh order of baytril and doxy, needed more baytril to begin with. Vet sold me a new bottle of baytril and gave me two refills of doxy through CVS. Talked to her about zithro and she said to give him a few more days on this combo since the doxy was only added sunday night. If he is not responding by the end of the week to call her and we can switch him up to zithro.

So glad the kiddos are on the mend! Lots of healing vibes for them both.
And Yay! that you seem to have found a good vet again!

Back