Labored breathing but still interested in food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyn

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey all,

We just went on a 1.5 week holiday and I picked my 3 ladies up at the sitter today. I immediately saw that my eldest girl of 2.5 years old was experiencing some labored breathing. She's on a load of medication including Prednisone, two types of antibiotics (synulox and flagyl) and also painkillers so I would be confused if it was a lung infection. It could still be though because she is being treated for inner ear infection. For now I've switched her flagyl to baytril to be sure that one might not work better and I have a check up with my preferred vet on Wedneaday morning but I'm not sure how serious this is and if I need to act sooner. I tried a nebulizer but she doesn't seem to improve so it could also be heart failure.. I just don't want to wait to long and have her suffer. She does still walk around freely, albeit slow and she does eat, albeit not as much as normal.. should I consider an emergency vet visit? Tomorrow my other vet is present but she's got way less experience with rats.. so i could also monitor tonight and go tomorrow. She is still "normally" breathing through her nose and not her mouth

Just for any people that see this post and wondered what happened. I went for an emergency vet visit and I'm happy she did. She started being super asphyxiated at the vets and we had her put to sleep immediately. I'm happy I was there in time to end her suffering

Back