Kidney Stone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froxen

Hey everyone -- Over the holidays, I noticed that the penis of one of my rats (Scotch) was extended completely and would not retract -- he was constantly licking it, and squeeling every once in awhile. It seemed quite red and irritated. Too bad it was Christmas day and there were no vets around! A few hours later, there was a yellowish mass protruding from the end. I tried gently squeezing it out, but it would not bulge, and it seemed to be causing him a lot of pain. We eventually managed to get it out by placing him in a warm bath, massaging the area and squeezing a bit more -- he struggled a bit, and this seemed to help move it out. The object was about half the size of a small marble and hard -- what a terrible ordeal for him! I tried researching it on google, and I found some articles on kidney stones and 'penis plugs', but I'm still not sure. Has anyone had something similar happen to their rats? This is definitely something new for me!

My guess would be a penis plug. Is your boy an older rat?
Many males when they become older or even too fat will stop cleaning themselves and you need to start checking them for penis plugs. It's quite easy to do, you retract the head of the penis and clean off the end. The plug is a hard yellowish waxy kind of tip and comes off easily also has a very foul smell.

Back