Just want to make sure this is normal?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belle_foudre

SO when I get my rats out for free range time they seem to act a little strange. I can very clearly see the diff in thier personalitys when they come out. Phebie, the younger one, is very skidish. She is unsure of everything, anytime someone moves she will bolt for the nearest dark spot she thinks she can fit into. Zoey the older one, she has more confedence in her surroundings, but she gets nervous to get down and start exploring. But once she does get down, shes fine. Im wondering if there is something I can do to help ease Phebie a little? I have even tried to rig up something for her to climb on, so she can get in and out of her enclosure without me. But she is still so freaked out by the floor. This has been going on since I got them. I have had them for a 3 months, and I figured she would mellow out after a few months, but so far nothing. It doesnt even seem to me that she has mellowed even a little. Does anyone have any ideas?

Some rats are like that... are you able to have the rats access to the cage during out time? I've noticed when the cage is accessible to them, they feel much more confident.

Yeah she has the option to come and go from her cage as she wants. I have jerry rigged some lattis from the floor to her cage.. she seems to like it a lot. But I guess it will just take more time. I was hoping for non flighty rats, but its cool. Maybe she will still. Grow out of it!

Dot and Maisie just don't like coming out. Every couple of WEEKS they finally come out. They would rather I just cuddle them. Their sister Lexie loooooves coming out and has a blast on the other hand. So if they don't come out every 2 weeks I have to drag them out as of course I do to check them :gaah:

Back