Just lost her sister

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurdah

My rat tibbers recently passed away, rest in peace baby. Her sister Annie I got them both when they were about 4 months old, i was told they were always together and i've never taken them from eachother they were in the same litter and I was wondering if I should be watching Annie for anything like depression or something along those lines, should I be worried about her or is she going to be fine, I'm giving her more attention than usual of course but should i be taking special measures?

Spend lots of time with her and spoil her. Some rats get very sad and depressed when they dont have their cagemates anymore. Does she have a new buddy option?

I've got 2 small rats they're all females they seem to bully her a bit now, though tibbers was always the.. alpha? and now i guess they're trying to take her place, so she has 2 rats in there with her but she's old and they're still really young and active, so i don't think she likes them much.

Give her some time to grieve and then she might perk up with the young ones. Each time a rat dies from the colony, there is always a shift, they grieve and then they establish who's alpha. I'd spend extra one on one with her as well.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss. My baby just lost her sister a month ago and she became very depressed. I agree that she needs a lot more one-on-one time. Gumdrop became very difficult to handle after General died and she needed constant cuddles and reassurance. She was jittery and scared around me and then very lethargic in her cage. And she took a long time to adjust to her new friends. She was very uncomfortable with them being in the space that she had shared with her sister. But she eventually grew to love them. It just took a lot of time and a lot of patience. And you also have to understand that there will be squabbles between them as they adjust. Unless they get genuinely violent, let them happen. They have to establish a pecking order if they're going to move forwards and live together.

Back