Just got my first rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJBailey

Hi everyone, so I'm not totally new to the world of small rodents (I've had two gerbils, four dwarf hamsters) and just by having my rat for one day I have fallen head over heels in love with him. I have been doing a ton of research on rats since I got him today, and everywhere is telling me that I should have bought him in a pair. I am from a very small town and got him from a local petstore, which I know isn't really a great idea but where I'm from they use fairly decent breeders. I saw him and I fell in love, I couldn't say no. Tomorrow I am going back to get another male from the same litter, they are about two months old.

Since they haven't been apart very long, I think it would be silly to quarantine them for a couple weeks before reintroducing them. But I'm not sure, so that's why I thought I would ask here! Any input on reintroducing them so that they can be as happy as possible is greatly welcomed, thanks from me and Armani!

Since they were together I wouldn't personally quarantine them. Welcome to the world of rats! They are definitely the best! I suck at introductions, so I'll let someone else chime in on that part, but good luck! Also, welcome to the forums! So many amazing people here
:welcome4:

First off congRats! And welcome
They are probably going to be fine if they are coming from the same litter I don't see a need to QT baby boy #2.
I would personally not worry about intros. Just observe them for a good hour or so and if you can have a little backup cage in case.
I haven't had too much trouble with male intros as long as females are absent.
If you let us know your location we can help you find local rescues in case you decide on a rat or 4 more in the future haha.
Also we can help you find a rat savvy vet in your area which is very important as they have more medical need that gerbils and hamsters are less prone to.
Best advice I can give is just spend time perusing this forum for cage help, nutrition info as food plays a large part of a healthy crew!
And we LOVE pictures. If you have a smart phone I personally suggest that you download Tapatalk which you can access the forum easily and add photos.
Enjoy your babies, rats will change your life ;)

Latest posts

Back