Just general worry for a rescue kid

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita1216

My friend has rescued a little naked boy from being a snakes lunch.

I have watched this little fella and he seems completely unsure of what to do with himself. He grooms, eats his lab blocks, but doesnt seem interested in much else. I hear sniffles, no porph and some slight other noise..not quite wheezing, but close if that makes sense.

I suggested a vet visit and that will be handled this week. In the meantime Im not even sure how old this little guy is.
I have kept rats for years and not seen one at this age not happy go lucky and playful. I suppose I am worried about the little mite and want to see him get his shot at a nice life. He isnt really "young", not to soon to be taken from mom, Im guessing five weeks or so. He wont take treats, wont eat anything other than lab blocks.

So how concerned should I be? Is there anything to do while waiting on the vet visit? :( :heart:

how much interaction does he get? it may be symptoms of an illness or it could that he is depressed being on his own. up until recently he had a whole family to play with. while there are no other rats around for him to play with try taking him out and interacting with him as much as physically possible. let him shoulder ride while you're wandering the house and chill in you lap or desktop or couch. just have him with you. see if that brings him around any.

but ultimately he could just be sick and not feeling well. so not feeling like playing. having him out with you won't hurt him any though. he'll likely sleep a lot or cuddle a lot but it certainly won't hurt him any even if his problem is just that he's sick. when he out with you make sure he's getting water and food though. just set the dish where he can get and show him it there and have a bowl of water out too. where he may be sick and he's younger giving him some ensure and baby cereal a couple times a day wouldn't hurt either.

He is getting alot of food and plenty of liquids. I suppose my experience with babies has been totally different than this. He isnt jumpy and doesnt mind being picked up, so some mass breeder must have cared for him a little at least.

I scheduled him a vet visit for tomorrow. I have been through enough illnesses with my own boys, that I tend to be a bit of a worry wart regardless.

We will just have to see how it goes and hopefully the vet just diagnoses a case of missing whomever he lived with before now.

Rats also have an instinct about not eating unfamiliar food, and about not eating in an unfamiliar place. He is in both situations now. Some normal interaction and he should become comfortable where he is. Or he may just be sick.

Esteban got a clean bill of health yesterday..well almost :) He has some sniffles, but his lungs and heart sound clear. She put him on abs and I forget exactly what it is, but it wasnt the normal adult stuff. He weighed in at a whopping 136 grams!

I visited with him and this evening I found him eating a lab block and looking much more at home. He is in a rat manor (looks like one to me) has lots of fleece and plenty to eat and drink.

I guess I can quit my worrying now :happydance:

Is your friend getting the little guy a friend of his own? That would definitely help alot of issues he may have. The comfort of another rat can go a long way.

javakittie said:
Is your friend getting the little guy a friend of his own? That would definitely help alot of issues he may have. The comfort of another rat can go a long way.

No, once he has spent at three week vacation there, he will come live with my clan :) I have the room and I have some other boys that will intro with the big boys around the same time. Since losing my beloved Fraggles, I have been in a funk. So Esteban will have a home with me and the kidlet :happydance:

Back