Just can't seem to get rid of this!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

I am really starting to get very upset and frustrated that I can't seem to shake this URI the boys have! They were on a baytril/doxy combo for two weeks, and it cleared everybody up except Rose. But even he was doing good until just a couple of days ago. But now he's starting to make that same 'whooping' noise again, but it's much more frequent, like several times a day! I have him on baytril right now, because I'm all out of the doxy, and I'll contact my vet on monday, but it's really discouraging that I can't seem to make them better. I have bought medication several times for them, and knock on wood, it seems to have been what the other boys need this time, but I'm still fighting with Rose. It all makes me feel like an inferior rat owner...

If medicine is helping, they need to be on it for at least 6 weeks, or it will just come back.
If you find the meds don't help, then you need to try a different combo of meds.
If the baytril dozy combo isn't working you might try a zithromax baytril combo. Your rat health care book has info. on how much to give.

Neither of the vets I dealt with (that were willing to medicate at all) were willing to let me keep them on for 6 weeks.

You know, it's just real discouraging, because I feel as though I'm not taking care of them properly. I mean, Zoey did better than these guys, and she was on pine bedding her whole life, plus crap pet store food! I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong for my boys to be sick like this...

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now. I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow morning and ask if he can get me either zithro or doxy.

Riana,
you could try showing them where it says 6 weeks in your health care book, or try to get them to consult with Scott at the Islandview vet hosp. in Fredericton.

Back