Just bought our babies today, I think one is sick.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah if you're gonna fix someone, fix the girlies. That way you'll have less of a chance of mammary tumors and they can live with the boys.

What I recommend doing and this will help in odour reduction... have your boys neutered, your girls spayed and have them all living together as a colony in a huge cage in the main living area of the home. Having rats in an enclosed bedroom will smell no matter what, it would be the same if you enclosed a cat and its litter box in a bedroom. But out in the open, a family room, living room, dining room, the smell is not concentrated.
What type of cage are they in now? Rats require lots of space and hamster cages are definitely not enough. Also a good quality rat block like Oxbow Regal rat will help with the odour. Use a bedding like Yesterday's news, it's absorbent and controls odour very well.
If you can't afford both spays and neuters, I highly recommend spays since it's so beneficial to the females health wise.

And... CONGRATS! on the new additions!

You haven't said what you have for cages but if they are too small (cage for 2 rats needs to be at least 4 cubic feet in size with a base of at least 30 in by 18 in and height with levels), please consider a Midwest Critter Nation - a double is a wise investment.
A cage for 4 rats needs to be at least 8 cubic feet in size. The critter Nation cage is a highly recommended cag. They are large and have lots of room to add toys etc. They are less expensive if you do not purchase from a pet store.

Having both sexes living together (altered of course so no pregnancies) is much more interesting then just one sex by itself.
As previously mentioned, there are many health benefits as well as benefits re smell and decreased urine marking of their territory.
There are lots of pics on here showing how people have set up their cages.

Not only is it good re smell to have rats in the main part of the home but it is good for the rats as they will get a lot more interaction.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi, congratulations on your latest additions!
I am another firm believer of spaying and/or castrating. I have four girls and two boys all living together. Both the boys are neutered. I would strongly encourage you to neuter one sex or the other (or both!). We have seen the most experienced people here still end up with an 'oopsie' litter because of two unaltered sexes in the same house...
Although rats are inexpensive pets to buy, they do come with an obligation for proper vet care. As many of us will tell you, it can be quite expensive! We encourage people to start saving right away for their 'rat vet fund' as they may suddenly need emergency care at the most inopportune time!
Anyway, enough lecturing. LOL
They really are such an amazing and fun creature, and you and your family will have a wonderful time with them. :)

They boys are only 4 weeks old. They smell like urine. I JUST put the bedding in 2 days ago. It's the Carefresh Advanced odor control premium soft bedding. With baking soda. In the color purple of course ;)

Could be old smell from Petsmart...having worked there and adopting a few special needy babies from there they are stinky due to the "tank" style set up. Give em a few days to groom and mark their new cage then I suggest a mix of water & vinegar to clean. I make it in a spray bottle 1/2&1/2 and then add a touch of lemon juice and use it for EVERYTHING. It cuts the ammonia (pee) smell down quickly!
And if there happens to be some missed during a wipe down its non toxic.
I've also started bathing my boys (well all of them) in organic pure coconut oil. Let it melt in the warm water. Thet come out soft and smell awesome and again completely safe.

I do plan to bathe them at some point, they are still WAY skiddish!!! They jide all the time, yet the girls I got, which are 4 weeks older, can't wait to play with us!! If they don't start warming up in the next week, I will take them back. I'm afraid they have had a very rough beginning and might be too scarred for a young child to have as a pet? Thoughts?

Rats, like cats groom themselves and do not normally need to be bathed. It is not recommended, and rarely done.

Seniors with hed or other health problems may need help cleaning themselves .... but are not usually given a bath.
Some people bath adult boys because of buck grease, however, this is done very rarely (once a month max, I believe) as it can disrupt the balance of oil in the skin, make the buck grease worse, dry out the skin, etc

The smell is likely from the environment they were in at the pet store and it will go away over time. As others mentioned you can use unscented baby wipes.

They are very young babies ... give them time. As you said, the other babies are a month older.

We can make suggestions on things you can do to socialize them.
Right now they are afraid and need to learn to feel safe.
They have been taken away from their mama and all of their brothers and sisters, they are scared.
Offering them treats from your hand, talking to them in a calm, quiet, gentle voice, letting them get used to you.
How long have you had them?
What type of cage are they in?

If possible, the rats should be in a main room as Jorats suggested.
How is the sneezing baby girl?

Any pictures ??
Congrats again on your new rattie family

Last edited:
I have only had them 2 days. I do pick them up each day, rub behind their ears, talk to them and offer treats. They spook easily, jump out of my hands(I don't want to restrain or squeeze them) and right back into their cage and snuggle with eachother. I pet them inside the cage and today they got a blackberry. I try to offer fresh fruits and veggies as treats.

I think I will change their bedding tomorrow and wipe the cage down with a lysol wipe or Apple cider vinegar.

The sneezing is actually done by all of them. All 4 of them. But, me being the dummy I am, keep putting perfume on.

I can't put their cage in an open place, we have cats. I don't trust the cats! At least, not until the rats are bigger.

I hatched and raised 2 geese and a duck. My cats used to try to get to them as tiny babies, but by the time my geese and duck were 8 weeks old, the cats ran from them. The geese bit them LOL

I just changed the furnace filters and I'm going to keep the bathroom vents on in the girls bathrooms that is connected to their rooms. Keep the air flowing.

It sounds like you are doing a good job.

For cleaning, I would recommend using a vinegar and water 50/50 mix for cleaning their cage, then rinse with water and dry.
That is what many of us use.
I have a white vinegar + water mix in one spray bottle and water for rinsing in another spray bottle.
Sometimes it is easier to clean smaller cages and accessories by washing them in the bathtub with a mild dish soap such as Sunlight, rinsing well and drying.
I strongly suggest you do not use anything toxic. (I learned this info from others many years ago and find these things work well so passing on the info.)

I think someone mentioned earlier that rats may get new home sneezes that should go away within a few days.
Also that rats are extremely sensitive to odors, so you are right, they may be reacting to your perfume.
Wow, you are doing a lot. Air flow is good, as long as it isn't blowing on them.

No airflow blowing on them. Picture this.... My 12 year old daughter's room on the right with the 2 boys....on the left, my 8 year old daughter's room with the 2 girls. Inbeteween their rooms connecting is their bathroom with a vent. I turn on the vent to suck air from both rooms. Hopefully this will help.

I agree - the babies are so young they don't have much experience with humans yet. There is no reason to think that with lots of love and attention they won't become the most wonderful, friendly boys. And there are people here who have gotten adult rats that were scared and skittish too, and even they usually come around. Babies are so malleable - you have the opportunity to mould their little personalities. It's like getting a puppy but bringing it back because he bites. All puppies bite but as they get older and learn what behaviours are desirable, they change to fit their environment.

Last edited:
Back