JECKYL DIED

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fujin

:cry3: jeckyll seems really ill, we cant get him int othe vet tommarow, he isnt throwing up or anything, hes just resting so much, he wont come for food with is not like jeckyll, jeckyll is usually hyper and happy. His breathing seems fast, he gets really really mad when you touch him, we noticed this today, he does move to other areas, but only to lay down, hyde is ok, i think he knows that jeckyll is sick, he has been sitting with him abit, what can this be? i would feel bad if anything happened to him over night is there anything i can do? :cry3:

Fujin said:
...we cant get him int othe vet tommarow, he isnt throwing up or anything....
Are you meaning to say you can't get him into the vet tomorrow, or you can't get him into the vet until tomorrow?
He sounds pretty sick eh? It's hard to say what to do without knowing what's wrong with him. It sounds as tho he may be in pain tho if he doesn't want to be touched.
If you hold him up by your ear can you hear any noisiness in his chest or does it seem as if he's having difficulty breathing? If so all i can suggest is that some chocolate when he's having troubles (especially dark chocolate) might help ease him breathing til he sees the vet (hopefully tomorrow if he's sick). If he starts having really bad attacks you can try running a hot shower and filling the bathroom with steam and taking him in there for a while.
I really don't know what else to suggest without more idea of what's wrong with him..
Maybe you could post more info if you can for when some more knowledgeable people come on?

I hope he's ok.....
PS - Rats don't throw up ever..

It's probably respiratory distress and there's not much we can do except what Fidget has already mentioned... he really needs to see a vet. :(

he is still the same way today, he doesnt look any better or any worse, he wont eat at all, i got him to drink out of a small water bole and, my vet cant get me an appointment for today, so i have to wait untill tommarow, but i think jeckyll is dying, i just feel it. :sad3:

edit:ughhh i cant take this anymore, he makes an effort to move, i think hes getting worse, he wont even eat at all, i can only get him to drink, he wont even sqeak to hyde, he can barrely move, i saw him try to climb unto the tissue box, he failes to, he just put his head on it and closed his eyes, poor guy. :cry3:

When rats look ill, they need to get to a vet immediately.
Rats get ill and die really fast.
When a rat gets ill, tell the vet it is an emergency and you need an emergency appointment that day. You said you think he is dying ... tell your vet that.
As jorats said, sounds like a resp. infection. He needs to see a vet and be put on antibiotics immediately. He may also need some other meds as well.
A tiny bit of dark chjocolate can be given as a temporary measure to try to keep the airway open until you get your rats to a vet.
Fluids such as a hydrating formula like pedia light may be helpful ... but if you squirt some into his mouth it needs to be a very small amount to the side of his mouth so it doesn't go down into his lungs.

btw, rats can't vomit.

SQ said:
When rats look ill, they need to get to a vet immediately.
Rats get ill and die really fast.
When a rat gets ill, tell the vet it is an emergency and you need an emergency appointment that day.
As jorats said, sounds like a resp. infection. He needs to see a vet and be put on antibiotics immediately. He may also need some other meds as well.
A tiny bit of dark chjocolate can be gien as a temporary measure to try to keep the airway open until you get your rats to a vet.
Fluids such as a hydrating formula like pedia light may be helpful ... but if you squirt some into his mouth it needs to be a very small amount to the side of his mouth so it doesn't go down into his lungs.

btw, rats can't vomit.

one little problem with dark chocolate, how can i get it into him, he wont eat, he will only drink.

Black and Green teas have Theophylline as well. Just an idea if you have that on hand. You may need to add a touch of sugar or honey to make it taste better.

mamarat said:
How's your little guy?

horrible. He wont even drink now, he makes a big fuss when hyde tries to touch him, he wobbles when he moves, he looses his footing, all he does is sleep, i think hes going to die. :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

Were you able to get him to his appointment? If the vet still hasn't seen him because they're too busy, then find someone else... if it's an emergency, they shouldn't be putting it off like that. Did you try some chocolate or tea?

Fujin said:
mamarat said:
How's your little guy?

horrible. He wont even drink now, he makes a big fuss when hyde tries to touch him, he wobbles when he moves, he looses his footing, all he does is sleep, i think hes going to die. :cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

Your rattie is obviously in pain. Can't you bring him to a vet? Most vets will see you in an emergency. Did he have a fall?

There is not much you can do to help your rattie.
He is very ill and as mamarat said ... suffering.

Please get him in to see a vet.
This is an emergency and has been since you first posted.
Vets leave space in their day to deal with emergencies such as your rattie boy.
Tell them it is an emergency and he needs to be seen now.

SQ said:
There is not much you can do to help your rattie.
He is very ill and as mamarat said ... suffering.

Please get him in to see a vet.
This is an emergency and has been since you first posted.
Vets leave space in their day to deal with emergencies such as your rattie boy.
Tell them it is an emergency and he needs to be seen now.

i got him to the emergency animal hospital. :cry3: It turns out he couldnt controll his body tempurature, he was always cold, he was to cold to move. There was a way to cure him, but, it would not last forever, and the stress of it might have killed him. :sad3: They gave me the choice, i did not want him to suffer anymore, so i chose to have him put to sleep :cry3: R.I.P jeckyll. Thanks for all of your support, but now, jeckyll is across the brigde, i will have to get a new rat for hyde, hyde cant go on alone. :cry3: I am going to make up a memorial for him, with all of the good times with him, and how much i loved my big squishy boy. :cry3: :cry3: :sad3: :sad3:

Back