janeway got hurt

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubchick

so i let the girls out to play in their room tonight.so they can run around on their own for a bit and i would randomly checke on them. i went in after a while to go play with them and give them each luvins'. so i see janeway keep peeking out of the tube and i try to coax her to come to me.. finally she comes out and strolls into the cage and i see blood on the side of her face and on her ear... im like OMG.. :panic: and grab her to check if shes ok.. :panic:
so she has HUGE DEEP scratch across her cheek/cheekbone. and a small bloody scratch on her side. so i panic and call linds because as shes the calm one!! .... anyway, i ended up cleaning her cuts off with a clean wet cloth and make sure its not bleeding anymore..it looks much better tho does look really sore. she wouldnt let me wash it too much poor thing.. she keeped pooping "scaired poops" when i was trying to tend to her... and really struggled.. :gaah: :cry3: when i had her just sitting on my shoulder for a bit to keep an eye on her.. she was giving me kisses on my cheek and neck.. so im glad she knows i wasnt trying to hurt her...
im pretty sure it was gloria that beat her up, cuz earlier when i was checking on them i saw gloria walking around all puffed up and doing the side swaying thing... i didnt hear or see any scuffle.. so i just figured she was being cranky with one of them... but dint really think anything of it. :roll: thats our gloria...
i thought about putting her in the big cage since it was all cleaned up yesterday.. but their cage -tho was just cleaned- could use an extra cleaning before i put her back in with that deep of a cut. i dont want it to get dirty and infected... - it gets so dirty so quick with 10 of them- so i put her and mya and leia in the smaller ferret cage for the night... since its all clean... that way shes not alone.
linds told me to give her a bit of baytril with soy milk.. stubborn lil booger wouldnt take it.... just keeped trying to run away to go play or somthing.. so thats good shes got energy.... but i hope linds can get her to take some tomorrow.. i want to make sure shes ok..
:wallbang: what a night.

Oh ya, heart attack time! We've had that happen a couple of times. It's a real downer too cause you just don't want one of yours hurting another one of yours. It was probably one of those things where one zigged when she should have zagged.
Silly rats!

Been there, done that...Joanne has talked me down off the ceiling in the beginning. :cheeky:

Clean them up, watch their behaviour and let them heal...but its still hard on the heart, especially when you see the blood. Best thing is to try to determine where the blood is coming from. Toes, tails, tongues (just found out this one), ears all bleed insanely...you are sure they are bleeding out! Then the next morning, you find a liddle tiny cut. :doh:

OMG! the poor little thing!!!! :shock:

I would have had heart failure as well!!! :(

Shame on Gloria for being such a pill!!! Give her some serious banana.... she seems to need the endorphines to help improve her mood. :love6:

Heart attack time! I'd have panicked for sure. Glad to hear she's doing OK. At times like this, it's good to log onto the Shack and hear from the battle-scarred voices of experience!

The gash on her face seems quite long and a bit deep. I put some polysporin on it when I got home from work and gave her some baytril, just in case. She seems fine, she spent the night with Mya, and Leia in another cage. I just put them all back in the FN and the other girls were happy to see her and started to groom her.
Gloria was all puffed up when she saw her but didn't do anything. Not sure what has gotten into her, she's never done something like that before. Going to keep a close eye on the two of them

im glad this has happened to others.. not that it is a good thing.. but makes me feel a bit better
holy frig, im such a worry wart somethimes..lol.. :panic:
anyway, like linds said it was really deep and long... but wow... it healed great ... compared to last night anyway. it barely looks like the same wound. i feel much better... except im just worried it might happen again. were gonna try the banana thing.. i hope it works...
poor gloria just isnt her young self anymore. shes much crankier with all the young'uns in there. poor thing.. but they arent going away, i wish she would realize it. oh well.. :roll:

Gloria is 2, she's never had anything wrong with her ever. she's my first rat so she's the dominant one over everyone and always had a rough time with accepting new arrivals but after intro's seemed to do better but for some reason lately she's been picking on Janeway a lot. If Janeway was sick would that 'cause it? I posted a while back about Janeway's teeth being white.

Janeway's teeth are looking worse I think, there's a black spot on one and I can't tell if it's food or the actual tooth and where she got the wound on her cheek it is starting to look almost puffed up. How do you know if it is going to abcess or already is? It's so hard to look at it because she won't sit still long enough for me to take a good look.

I'm fairly certain that since rats are prey animals it is often in their best interests to cull the sick and weak. So seeing a healthy rat pick on a more sickly one is a very big possibility. I know most of see the opposite, the members taking care of eachother but I don't know that that is the norm on a more instinctual level.

I hope you figure out what exactly is bothering Janeway's mouth :(

Her mouth doesn't smell bad and the cheek doesn't look as swollen but the wound still looks kinda sore. I've been giving her baytril so hopefully that's helping to way off any infection. She's acting like she normally does, she's eating blocks fine and drinking fine and over all seems ok. Just worries me with that black spot starting now...and I've just kinda noticed how her front teeth seem to be a little long.
The rest of the girls seem to have more shorter front teeth then Janeway does...I'm wondering if maybe she needs her teeth trimmed? How can you tell?

Back