Jacob had a stroke

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob seems to have had more strokes ...
At times he has a head tilt to the right side, he has lost around 200 grams despite supplemental feedings, and he will stand frozen in one position for 5 or 10 min.s at a time.
Jacob seems confused and reacts very slowly.

When other rats approach him on his right (blind) side he reacts defensively. The other rat will react to this and it does not go well. Jacob has been attacked twice by different cagemates. He was pinned, screaming, and lost some of his fur. :(
I have moved Jacob into the cage with Leah and her 3 remaining boys ... they are elderly and have severe hed so move slowly. They will not be around much longer :( but it is the best solution I can find for Jacob at the moment. So far so good ... a bit of sniffing and then ignoring him. I am continuing to take Jacob out for supplemental feedings plus this cage always has soft food available so hopefully he will regain some of his muscle and body mass.

Jacob is having difficulty eating ... it take a lot of effort and time for him to eat anything ... he chews a lot and may be having difficulty swallowing :(
His brain just isn't working right ....

August22Jacobonmylap.jpg

August22Jacobisstarving.jpg

August22Jacobeatingwatermelon.jpg

Slowly eating a tiny bit iof watermelon

August22Jacobtryingtoeat.jpg

Tried syringe feeding but it made Jacob panic and start screaming ... :(
Aug. 2 Jacob weighed 514 g, August 16 - 388 g, August 20 - 373 g

Guess I'll be calling the vet on Monday to make an appointment.

Ugh SQ :(

He doesnt look well at all poor babe :( I think moving him in with the slower and older cagemates was the right move.
So sorry though hun, its a hard thing to go through for both of you :hugs: :hugs:

jorats said:
He looks so tired... so old but so very sweet...

yes .... but not so old Jorats .... :( Jacob is only about 21 months old ...

Jacob is eating more this evening so he may be starting to feel a bit better ...

March23EliJacobPeter.jpg

Young Jacob in March, with his two buddies Peter & Elijah

I find that some rats age faster than others. Some are old at 18 months while others don't show their age till way past two.

It's a shame the stroke has aged him so.

Yes, until the stroke, Jacob looked the same as he did in March ... a big, muscular, strong healthy active boy.

This is my first experience with stroke ... was hoping he would bounce back like the literature says many rats do. Guess not :(

Thank you all for your comments. I'm finding this very difficult to deal with.

Does anyone know what factors can contribute to a stroke in a rat?

Its a rollercoaster of a ride SQ. I really think that my old rat had a stroke or something neurological, not just HED. It was constant days of trying to stay positive, constant denial, constant bouncing back and forth. its emotionally and physically draining for both of you :( :hugs:

Does anyone know what factors can contribute to a stroke in a rat?

Its a rollercoaster of a ride SQ. I really think that my old rat had a stroke or something neurological, not just HED. It was constant days of trying to stay positive, constant denial, constant bouncing back and forth. its emotionally and physically draining for both of you :( :hugs:

I thought Jacob had died during the night as he was laying motionless with his eyes open. He even remained frozen in position while a much larger rats bumped against him.

Jacob is presently in my lap eagerly eating baby cereal with olive oil and strawberry quick. He doesn't like the vanella ensure I had bought, guess I'll have to buy him some strawberry.

Yes, it certainly is "a rollercoaster of a ride" ... Jacob now weighs 387 g so has gained a few grams. If he was my only rat, or even my only sick rat it would be so much easier to take him out for feedings every hour or two ...

Just returned from an emergency vet appointm,ent to have Jacob given sub-Q fluids. He struggles so much I ws unable to do it at home.
We had to sedate him with gas before giving the fluids.
Hope this helps ... Jacob is so dehydrated.
Jacob has been unable to take little by mouth since yesterday.
I will need to have him pts if he doessn't start taking food and fluids. :sad3:
Can't syringe feed him as it struggles and screams.

Jacob is resting. A few minutes ago he was nibbling a piece of watermelon. Hopefully he ate some of it.

Some do, some don't...you don't know until you try. :sad3: some continue to have TIA (transient ischemic attacks) or mini-strokes that continue to debilitate them.

I am so sorry Holly he IS aging too fast, and looks pretty tired now. :sad-p:

Back