Jack isn't the brightest of the bunch...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack's_Girl

Nor is he determined.
So as you all probably know my (soon to be) rat is a lab rat. I teach him to press a lever for food reward. We keep them at a 85% weight range (a slim healthy weight range) so that they are a little hungry and will work for their food. (They get fed after training without having to work for it... what they work for is just an early, mouth-sized treat.)
Jack is well, "special". He is the slowest to learn the lever pressing and would rather have cuddle time! When he's in the training box he presses the lever (showing he knows how) but takes his sweet time doing so.
I guess it's a good thing, that way I am forced to spend more time with my dearest rattie.
I can't wait to take him home...

Considering that he knows he is getting fed after the training time, he probably is more concerned with getting cuddle time from you because for him that is a big reward. Afterall the other times during the day he is by himself.

I agree with mamarat2. Cuddle time is a huge reward for rats too.
I wonder if they other students are as affectionate with their rats?

Melissa's ZOO said:
I agree my Clover would rather be loved on than get a treat.
LOL, some of my babies are like that too. I'll have them out, they ignore the food and prefer to explore or cuddle.

True.
Today Jack was really jumpy! Man, can that rat ever leap.
Today we worked up to an FR (6) schedule. Which means for every 6 pushes on a lever he gets one treat.

I think most of the students are affectionate with their rats. There is one girl in my class who spends almost an hour every day just cuddling her rat.

As a side note, does anyone have any suggestions on getting Jack comfortable with sitting on my shoulder? (Keeping in mind that at this point I am required to wear a lab coat)

It should come naturally to him, once he's no longer scared in your hands or with you, plop him up there and see how he reacts. Keep putting him back up if he crawls away. It will work best if he's not scared.

My rats have all been natural shoulder riders. If he loves cuddle time the way you say he does, it probably wont take long until he gets used to it.

Back