Ive done it again!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

Me and my friend were at the pet store last night, and what did he do, HE BOUGHT ME A RAT! a cute rat mine you. :smiling: Sheesh, so now i have a new rat, Cricket is his name, and boo is not happy, he is quite jealous and he enjoys biting the little baby. He tries to drag him around. Im not sure what kind of coat markings he has, he has a brownish blackish hood with a straight thick line down his back, his belly is white and he has blazes up the sides. Im really not happy about this. I cant take him back now!

AWW at least Boo has a friend now. Sounds to me that he is an Agouti hooded. As long as Boo is not drawing blood then they will be fine together. Do you have a separate cage to keep the baby in until Boo gets used to him? Also cleaning the cage thoroughly helps as it will not smell like Boo and be all new so he might be a little less territorial.

Can't wait for pictures.

Do slow intro's in the bathtub (without water) and just let him get used to the idea of having a friend. He probably accidently nicked his ear. Ears bleed like crazy becasue of all the blood vessles, it usually looks worse than what it really is.

yeah i did the bathtub thing, i did every place where boos scent wasnt, also I held boo on his back and rubbed the baby on his belly. this worked a little bit, its like proving dominance. Boo felt very threatened.

Yeah, I don't know that I would force Boo to lay on his back. That might cause him to really get agitated and make things worse. Just let them be together in the tub while you watch and just be ready with a towel in case you need to grab one of them. I learned that the older rat has to get his dominance issues out of the way and then they will adjust.

My Rose was really, really aggressive towards the last two babies and I would interfere every time she got on one of the babies. But once I stopped interfering Rose would do her thing and then be fine with the little ones once she got her point across to them.

Maybe even try putting some food like yogurt or baby food on a plate so that they have to sit and eat with one another. Interaction with distraction may work to slowly intro Boo to the new baby.

I'm so glad you have that faith in my kindness & patience that you think it's entirely joking mamarat! :lol:

Back