It's been a hard week. ...lost three more. :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
October 17th, I found my beautiful Bobby Green gone.

He had been sick for the last little while, meds didn't work with him. I knew I would lose him at a young age, his brothers also passed very young. He was the last of the Great White Sharks. These three boys came to me from a long distance transport effort starting in Moncton.
All three boys didn't do well with the long trip, all three became aggressive, Bobby the least aggressive out of the three. He was neutered at about 4 months of age and became a silly happy boy. Not one for human affection, but he sure loved to play. If your hand was around, you had to play tag with him. He loved his rat buddies, always curled with one of them. A few months ago, he became sick, I knew it was just a matter of time. He was only 22 months old.
The three Great White Sharks are together again.
Be well and be happy my sweet Bobby Green.

The three bros when I got them:

smTheWhites.jpg

And Bobby:

smSharkinhammock.jpg

October 19th, I wake up this morning to find my Couscous has gone. A couple of months ago, Couscous developed pneumonia, despite the meds, she just couldn't overcome it. But she continued to enjoy her out time, she loved people, she loved rats like a crazy girl, I've never seen another rat, take to other rats like she did, it was comical to see her latch onto a rat and be dragged around. She was a sweetheart till the end. Couscous is Flea's sister, they just turned 30 months... both She and Flea were Mister's concubines. They had litter upon litters, until I took them away from that awful lifestyle. Last night, before I went to bed, I picked up sweet Couscous, she was cold and I told her, "you are leaving me aren't you"? I I gave her a kiss and put her back in the cage. I knew it was the last time I would see her alive.
I know she had a great deal of fun while with me, there's no doubt about that... I will miss you sweet girl, but I know you are most likely having fun with all the other rats at the bridge.

When I first got Couscous:

smCouscous.jpg

The sisters:

smFleaCouscouscornertriangle.jpg

My sweet Neela finally left me today between 4pm and 6pm.
She had been sick for a very long time, diseased lungs but never enough to take her... until today.
Neela and her sister Trésor were purchased from Petsmart, on the first day they opened, on May 2nd of 2005. I remember thinking to myself, I hope it's a "female" store because males are my preference. Well, it was a female store... so what do I do? Buy the only two ratties in the store. I just couldn't resist those tiny little beauties.
Neela was a great girl, she was accepting of all changes, she loved her humans too. If you sat down during an out time, chances are you'd have a Neela in your shirt. Neela also loved the bad boys. She always hooked up with the Alpha. When no rat wanted to be around the big macho guy, it was Neela that would seek them out for cuddles.
For the last 6 months she's been fighting myco/pneumonia. Nothing worked for her...so I decided to just let her be comfortable.
I'll miss you sweet Neela, I'll miss kissing your white spot on your head, petting your soft fur and having you sleeping quietly in my hands.

When I first got her:

Neelasface.jpg

Neela4.jpg

SmallNeela.jpg

Neela4.jpg

Neela1.jpg

Oh my, I can't imagine how hard this is for you, but atleast you know they are in a good place and had a wonderful home while with you. I'm so sorry.

:roseopen:

I am so very sorry Jo ... :(

Knowing that you gave Neela :heart: Couscous :heart: and Bobby Green :heart: wonderful lives is some comfort
but loosing them is just so hard ...

Thank you for sharing about their lives and their pictures.

((((HUGS))))

What a terrible week it's been for you Jo!
sad-056.gif

You have been the angel to so many wonderful babies, you're going to get mobbed the day they get to meet you at the bridge.
angel-0080.gif

Oh God Jo.
What a devastating few days for you.... And for your rattie family.

I didn't know Bobby had a 2nd name, and worse - I didn't know Moose had gone on too. I hope there is some comfort in knowing that Bobby had familiar company to greet him at the bridge, but it seems such a short time between you bringing them home and passing them over. To bring home 3 so purely white in fur as in heart is a once in a lifetime find, (to most of us, I don't doubt you could again but they won't be your sharks). I'm sure glad you have that beautiful picture of them.

And Neela, such a photogenic little girl, how could she be such a biker-chick and still such a swwet agreeable child? I'm sure Tresor came to meet her. And didn't they just come yesterday too?

And Coucous, I'm sure Mister & Bijou are looking after her, she sure seemed more a baby than a breeder and I bet they are going to make sure she has the childhood she missed out on.

It's shocking that so many cherished angels could fly at once, especially from so loving a home.
My condolences to you and your family.

I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. I enjoyed reading all of your tributes to your much loved rats. *hugs*

Ahh Jo, what a horrible month its been for you. :(

I think you did well getting Bobby to 22 months, I don't think his health was truly the best, and sweet Couscous, what a lovely ending to her sad life. I am sure she is going to be taking care of all the rats at the Bridge now, and Neela too...

((hugs))

Thanks everyone... it's so hard but something that I knew would happen when I took in a lot of rats all the same age. It's not over yet I'm afraid with 7 more all over 29 months old.

It's so sad... that's the one thing I hate about rats - it breaks my heart everytime one has to go. They really don't live long at all, my oldest (that I had from a baby, as I don't know how old the rescues were when I saved them) was 31 months, and my youngest left us at only 16 with severe respiratory disorders which made her starfeet and butterfly nose turn blue, then she had a stroke because she wasn't getting enough oxygen, and i finally had to put her down before she suffocated ...

It's so heart wrenching, and my (and my fuzzyone's) wishes are with you jo, and your older fuzzlers, now and in the future. So so sad :sad4:

I have been so busy lately that I haven't read half of the posting here. I am sorry Joanne that you are losing so many at once. They are all very lucky ratties to have you care for them. Some I bet wouldn't have lived as long as they did if you hadn't looked after them. They will always be in your heart. Give the remaining crew hugs and kisses fromme.

Ann

Back