Is this a uti?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallis

My two year old female rat started having some bleeding a few weeks ago. I can’t tell if it’s vaginal or not. I took her to the vet the day after I noticed and he did an X-ray to make sure it’s not bladder stones or a noticeable tumor. Nothing came up so he decided to treat it as a uti and see what happens. She’s been on clavamox for about a week and a half. I emailed the vet saying that she was still bleeding a little but it seemed like a lot less than it was. He said that’s normal for a uti to still bleed a little and that he wants to see her about a week after she finishes the antibiotic. Well today she’s been bleeding a lot more. It’s not a ton but it’s enough that it’s been dripping every once in a while. Is it possible it’s a uti or should I get in touch with my vet again and ask for an earlier appointment? She’s still acting pretty much normal. A little more tired but she’s been on clavamox before and it made her sleepy and less active so I’m assuming that’s why she’s been like that. But she’s still eating and drinking normally and she hasn’t been having any other symptoms.

I'm so sorry your post was missed. Usually UTI's are urine mixed with blood, and they respond very fast to antibiotics. On the other hand, IF its vaginal bleeding it could be as easy as a myco genital infection (unfortunately Clavamox won't help with this as it is not effective against myco) to a uterine infection, to polyps or masses in the uterus. If you can get your hands on enrofloxacin or Baytril to try, that is likely better

I'm so sorry your post was missed. Usually UTI's are urine mixed with blood, and they respond very fast to antibiotics. On the other hand, IF its vaginal bleeding it could be as easy as a myco genital infection (unfortunately Clavamox won't help with this as it is not effective against myco) to a uterine infection, to polyps or masses in the uterus. If you can get your hands on enrofloxacin or Baytril to try, that is likely better
It’s okay! I let the vet know because she had been on the antibiotic for about a week and she started bleeding more. He said that he wanted to have her spayed. She got surgery on Tuesday and he found a tumor on one ovary and a cyst on the other. She’s currently recovering right now.

Back