Is MDF safe for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelMel

Hi, I posted this question in another thread, but haven't gotten any answers so I thought I'd ask in a new thread. Is it safe to house ratties in a cage made out of an MDF pantry? I've read about the offgassing and wonder if it is a good idea to make my cage afterall. Thanks!

I think it does give off chemicals when sawed or sanded if it's not sealed. So I would imagine it can't be too good if the rats chew on it. I'm really not positive about this though maybe more research has been done by other members.

People have done "grotto" style cages. It seems to work for some. I did that once but man the smell was horrid. Pee on wood really don't get alone together.lol
But now that you mention the chemicals... I don't think I'd house rats in there.

I would be concerned about the glue, since MDF is wood particles (i.e. floor sweepings and garbage), mixed with various chemicals and glue, and then press formed into different shapes. Rats will definitely chew the MDF, so they'd be getting some of the glue and chemicals in their system. Once they pee on it, it would be nasty and impossible to clean. Also found this little tidbit:

MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) is made from waste wood fibres which are glued under heat and pressure. It is very versatile, but can be dangerous to use if proper safefy precautions are not adhered to. Most MDF slowly releases urea formaldehyde which is an irritant to the eyes and lungs. This can be sealed in with proper preparation and painting. The dust produced when sanding or cutting is another matter, and masks and goggles should ALWAYS be used when machining or cutting this material, and adequate ventilation should be present in the work area.

I think given the above, I would not use MDF for any part of a rattie house.

Jeeze.. nasty stuff. Isn't it crazy what things we house OURSELVES in? The chemicals in our houses... Well, I don't think I'll be doing that! I of course was going to completely cover all exposed wood with plastic shelf covering, but they will still probably chew. Also, just living in something with offgassing is bad, I imagine. That's too bad - it was going to be a sweet cage.

Back