Is marking a sign of affection?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenD

Yet another question...Chaulky loves to mark me. I have been assuming it's a sign of affection, but wasn't sure. Sometimes, he'll pee on my hand and I'll wash it off right away and go to play more and he'll do it immediately again - he almost "mounts" my hand in a way and pees as he runs over my hand and up my arm. One time, it happened 5 times in a row. Does anyone know why he does that? What it means in the rattie world? I'm assuming he's claiming me as his???

p.s. both of the boys have suddenly become super affectionate and curious now that we brought home the two babies, who are quarantined upstairs. I am washing hands and changing clothes, but do they smell them or hear them? I like the changes I'm seeing in their behavior and hope that indicates that the introduction will go well... :hugs:

Jen

When rats pee on you, they are claiming you. Don't let him mount your hand like that. He'll think he's your alpha and you don't want that. Remove him when you see him doing the mounting, just lift and place beside your hand.

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. Will definitely remove him from my hand.

I can't tell yet whether Rudy or Chaulky will be the alpha. What signs should I look for?

Also, they are so verbal and when they "play", it's non-stop squeaking. Will the squeaking subside eventually when alpha status is determined or does this mean that Chaulky is alpha since he's trying to dominate me...is this a sign that he might be more aggressive when his hormones kick in? They've never appeared aggressive to any of us (no biting other than a bit of nipping if fingers when in the cage when we first brought them home - suspect they were given treats through the cage)...but there is so much squeaking when they play that it makes me worry a bit for the babies. The babies were obviously well loved & handled a lot. They are so much calmer and quieter and friendlier than Rudy & Chaulky were at that age. As bad as this sounds, I worry that the babies will pick up *bad habits* from the other two :cry4: or they'll not know what hit them when they start living together...I have to wait until 5-7 months of age before neutering with this vet so they will be together for a couple of months at least before the older two get snipped. Should I look for another vet to do the surgery younger? With Chaulk's health being bad, I kind of agree with the vet about waiting until he's older/bigger/stronger and definitely over this mycro flare up.

Thoughts on the alpha/squeaking issues? Thanks! p.s. sorry my replies are always so darn long...

Your replies are thorough and that helps us assess the situation.
How old are Chaulky and Rudy?

Squeaking while playing is normal and if you have a rat that likes to squeak a lot, he will most likely do it forever.
The hard playing is important to a rat's social circle. Once the babies are added and they all play together, it will be good for them too.
Usually rats start to claim the leader role at about 5 months old. But it doesn't stop there. The beta can always be testing the alpha for that position for a very long time.
I agree with your vet, and wait to see how Chaulky does first with his respiratory issues. But if it's just sneezing with clear lungs, he should be totally fine for surgery.

Chaulky and Rudy are still babies practically... I wouldn't be concerned about aggression, not yet, most likely not ever.
Are they being introed to the newbies?

I hadn't started yet, but they seem to sense the babies and have become more affectionate (kissing, playing, wanting to come out for shoulder rides & exploration, etc). Not sure if it's a fluke or related to the babies who came here on Sat. Would it be safe to do early intros since that would be easier as far as ages are concerned (heard it's easiest when they are all babies and the other two aren't too far from babyhood still)...? Thoughts?

Or is it better for the babies to bond with us and then intro? Any concern with the babies picking up what Chaulky has? He will be on the doxy for 24 hours tonight...

I much prefer have the babies bond to the buddies and learn from them how to play with the humans. Event through intros, you can continue to socialize babies with you.

jorats said:
When rats pee on you, they are claiming you. Don't let him mount your hand like that. He'll think he's your alpha and you don't want that. Remove him when you see him doing the mounting, just lift and place beside your hand.

:shock: Devilboy Patrick used to mount my hand and pee before he had his nads off. I would move my hand (and tickle his belly) cus i hated him pee'ing on it and he would try to pin my hand down and mouth my fingers. he has too much attitude for such a little guy

Ha ha, Ryelle! That little stinker :lol:

Jo and others, I'd love to hear advice on making the intros between the boys then. Again, two of them are 14.5 weeks and two are 6.5 weeks. Can you guys walk me through it a bit for the best way to do it at this age. Should I bring the carrier cage with the babies downstairs and put it next to the big cage? Or should I just swap bedding and then in a day or two, put them in the bathtub (neutral location) for a bit? This is my first time with something like this, so I'd welcome lots of advice and details. I so want this to go well and am expecting it should because they are all so young...

Jo, let me know if I should start a new topic for this...maybe I should since it might help others when post searching...

Back