Irradiated Food

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say it's a good and bad process.
The good part, it kills all bacteria, everything, nothing can survive the ionizing radiation.
The bad, well, it is radiation.
Some foods in our supermarket have been irradiated, for tropical fruits, it gives them a longer shelf life.
Food that have been irradiated, there is no need for pesticide use and no fear of microbiological contamination.

It's like food being microwaved for a very short time, like a few seconds. As for the radiation, it is more or less the same amount they would get standing on a sidewalk near a stone building. The news media has blown this WAY out of proportion. Oh Noes! :panic: Radiation is Baaaad! :panic:

Very safe! Look up John Stossel reports on this:
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/Story?id=1898820&page=1

The irradiated food part is about a third of the way down the page. I like the part where the guy says:
"These are pure scientists and she doesn't want to make that break. We are taking it the extra inch. We're saying to people, "Don't-don't be put to sleep by people who work in test tubes-don't." I don't need proof that it goes to cancer. We already know it leads to cancer."

A fraud and scare tactic if I ever heard one :rant:

Here's some more I dug up:

John Stossel reports that the Centers for Disease Control believes that a million cases of bacterial infection, including 350 lives saved, could be avoided per year if only half of our food were irradiated.

If you don't take the CDC's word for it, the World Health Organization and American Medical Association also agree, as do the FDA and the USDA.

(Ironically, the same thing occurred when Dr. Pasteur came up with his method of purifying milk. People freaked out then too, claiming that "raw" milk was somehow better.)

People also do not realize that spices have been irradiated for over 20 years.

Source:http://lhynard.livejournal.com/324622.html

Do you get the idea that I feel strongly about this?

If it's the same or similar process as has been used on bandages and heat-sensitive medical equipment for quite a while now, there's virtually no residual radiation. There are greater sources of radiation inside the body of your average rat, due to small percentages of some essential elements being naturally radioactive.

On the plus side, you get longer shelf life, no pathogenic contamination (don't need to worry about salmonella or e. coli for example), no bugs in the food... it's like pasteurization but usable on a wider range of foods.

I have higher standards for my ratties' diet than my own, and yes, I'd feed them irradiated food.

Back