Invermectin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ember19

It was a bit ago that i asked for a different method of treating mites in rats & i was told about Ivermectin, i did finally find something called Panomec, it says its based off of Ivermectin & on the package it was ivermectin in bracets under the name brand, im just wondering if anyone knows anything about this brand and is it as safe for them as ivermectin?

i have never used this but here's some information that i found on it;

http://ratguide.com/meds/antiinfectives/ivermectin.php
It's very potent but it does not kill mites eggs but rather the hatchlings when used repeatedly at the appropriate intervals and dosage.
Ivermectin is well absorbed orally, parenterally, and as pour-on formulas. Efficacy is greatest in oral, and in SQ treatment.
Concentration of the drug remains in the body fluids for extended periods with the highest concentration being in the liver and fat tissues. The drug does not easily penetrate cerebral spinal fluid which minimizes toxicity. It is metabolized in the liver, and mostly excreted in feces with a lesser amount excreted in urine.
dosages
Ivermectin 200 mcg/kg to 400 mcg/kg, PO , SQ, repeat in 8-10 days 2. May be applied as a topical behind the ear.
or
Ivermectin 0.2 mg/kg q7 days x 3 weeks; PO, SQ, 1. May be applied as a topical behind the ear.

Anyone please correct if any of this information is wrong or outdated!
Hope i helped a little!!
Good Luck

Panomec IS Ivermectin and it is exactly what I have used for years. It comes in a syringe-type thing? I was told to put the whole lot into a container and mix it up well before using it tho, and I always have, mixed it up in a pill bottle. I've found it a godsend for mites.

Fidget said:
Panomec IS Ivermectin and it is exactly what I have used for years. It comes in a syringe-type thing? I was told to put the whole lot into a container and mix it up well before using it tho, and I always have, mixed it up in a pill bottle. I've found it a godsend for mites.

:yeah: Exactly right!

Once nicely mixed, you need to give your ratties a tiny bit of the ivermectin. An amount about the size of a grain of rice. To mask the taste I usually stick it inside of a cooked noodle. Rats love pasta and gobble up their noodle before they realize it tastes a bit funny. Plus it lets me control the dose and make sure everyone gets their own.

That part about Melon provided about it being "very potent but it does not kill eggs but rather the hatchlings" means that you have to dose them more than once. Once a week for 3 weeks to be exact, to stop the breeding cycle.

It a reliable and cost effective way to treat mites and lice in rats, and really not that difficult to do.

What you do not want to do is let your vet use injectable ivermectin. :scolding: It can cause problems i.e. infection/abcess at the injection site, is very expensive and is old school thinking that tells you your vet is uninformed and behind the times.

Further to MomsyRat's post - its not bad tastng at all, I just put a 'grain of rice size' bit on my finger, mix in a tiny bit of peanut butter or cool'whip or anything that they find tasty with a toothpick and they clamor to lick it off.
Easiest meds in the world to give! Once a week for 3 weeks.
Just don't give it directly from the tube it comes in, that's meant as a one-dose for a horse. Put it in another container with a cap and mix it well, it will last til the due date no matter how many ratties you have. So always try to buy the latest due date possible.

I've used it on my rats before, a little annoying when you have more rats but for just a couple it's quite affordable, (I got it for $15) and like fidget said, lasts for a long time. Also make sure you do a good cleaning!

I just have to put in my negative plug on Ivermectin (sorry, wet blanket here :? ) I've never had any good luck with it. I hate that you have to give it in three doses a week apart, even then it's hit or miss that it's going to work, and I've seen that it doesn't. However, it does tend to work better for folks who have just a couple of rats versus over a dozen like some of us do. But Ivermectin didn't even work for us when we had just 8.

It's also something that should never be overdosed as there have been evidence it can cause back leg paralysis and even death.

We have used Revolution for years. The last time any of my rats showed any evidence of lice/mites, was about 5 years ago. I've treated preventatively ever since (i.e. when someone new comes in, we rat sit for friends, or we take in a rescue that has mites).

Revolution is more expensive, but works perfectly if dose appropriate to their weight...and you only have to do it once, rather than several times.

Ivermectin however, is much cheaper......but maybe that's why it's not as effective :wink2:

We've used Ivermectin since 2002 and it's always worked each time. BUT! We get the oral ivermectin from the vet, not the horse paste wormer. The oral ivermectin still needs to be given in 3 treatments.

I've always used Ivermectin, my main reasoning is that Rev costs 50 some dollars, and a tube of Ivermectin costs me 6. Also, you have to get Rev from the vet, and my vet wanted to see EVERY rat to make "sure" they have mites, and charge an office visit fee for EACH rat. That's adding up to a whole lot of money that could be spent on something else, like toys or food or bedding for them. Probably not what people want to hear but it's the truth. I used it when I had 20 rats, and it worked fine for me. I also gave the doses a bit smaller than what I THOUGHT it should be, just to be on the safe side. It worked just fine that way. I should also mention, that I didn't just rely on the Ivermectin alone. I changed their bedding every day, scrubbed down the cages, and tossed all their fabric and wooden toys, only using plastic things that could be disinfected in their cages.

Now I freeze EVERYTHING. Food, bedding, even new toys. I haven't had another bout mites since.

Yes, the 3 weekly thing with Ivermectin annoys me, and apart from a spot-on that doesnt work all the time, my rats have to go to the vet to get injectible Ivermectin... Some rats deal with it worse than others

Cait said:
Rev costs 50 some dollars, and a tube of Ivermectin costs me 6. Also, you have to get Rev from the vet, and my vet wanted to see EVERY rat to make "sure" they have mites, and charge an office visit fee for EACH rat.

Wow... I had Peaches in for a checkup with one of the vets who I don't even like that much, and she sold me a single tube for like $12 - and I told her I wanted it just in case, I didn't even think anyone had buggies.

Yeah, remember, this was the stupid vet. He wouldn't do the single tube thing, and he definitely wouldn't let me just bring in ONE rat to "prove" it's mites/lice. It was an all or nothing deal. And when an office visit is 32 dollars... Times that by 20 at the time... That's just ridiculous.

And now out here the nearest rat savvy vet is about 2 hours away. Ho hum. But I haven't had any problems, and with the freezing and simply getting no new rats, I don't see a mites/lice outbreak any time soon.

Well, down here in the states, that's no longer true. Even the most stubborn vet, who refused to use anything other than Ivermectin, are now going with Revo too. Yeah, it IS expensive. It's $90 for 3 tubes here :gaah: But I kind of go with the "you get what you pay for" thing. We can use it on our rats, pigs and bunnies. So we can do the whole house with 6 tubes.

I personally never tried the Ivermectin you can buy on your own. I always heard you had to reeeeeally mix it up well, and then you had no way of appropriately doseing it based on their weight. We are very concerned about that. But with both Ivermectin (from the vet) and Revo, you do have to be careful to give them both enough (too little and the lice do not go away) and not too much ( :sad3: )

I'm with Debbie on this...

I have used both the horse wormer type Ivermectin and oral Ivermectin from the vet and often it only provided temporary relief, at least in recent years.

If you have Debbie D.s recent Health Care booklet it says "A systemic insecticide for lice and internal parasites. Only temporarily effective for fur mites. Can cause fatal bleeding in some rats if given by injections so safer given orally. Do not give to pregnant rats or mothers nursing babies under 2 weeks of age. 0.1 - 0.2 mg/lb once a week for 3-6 weeks."

Our vet used to go with a dosage of Ivermectin given orally and then we followed up with a dose of Revolution 10 days afterwards but in recent years the real relief only seems to come once we hit them with the Revolution so we don't bother with the Ivermectin anymore and just go straight to Revolution which is very safe. Expensive yes. But safe and very effective.

As to vets here.. it really depends, a lot even still do the injections which obviously is a big no no. Some do Ivermectin orally, some do the combination, some do just Revolution.

We just spent $560 on Revolution the other day... it is expensive but when I did the math it's enough to treat 300 rats/ferrets TWICE so for us it comes down to about a buck per dose so it's not all that bad. If you have to cough up $560 it's brutal though. We do get a bit of a discount from our vet because we are a rescue, we almost get it at cost.

And some great tips when it comes to saving a few $$$ using Revolution:
http://verminvillage.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -rats.html

I think a lot of vets will not give it to small animals simply because they do not know. The Pfizer website that the vets have access does give dosing instructions for small animals. Maybe if you tell an unwilling vet to look at the website, that would help. Worth a try anyway.

Moon said:
I think a lot of vets will not give it to small animals simply because they do not know. The Pfizer website that the vets have access does give dosing instructions for small animals. Maybe if you tell an unwilling vet to look at the website, that would help. Worth a try anyway.

Good to know!!

I think it cost me around $20 for the Ivermectin horse wormer. It's always cleared the problem (along with a major kidspace clean). And really, a happily lapped-up fingertip offering once a week for 3 weeks is easy as meds can be (I've done 1/2 hr sessions twice a day trying to sneak in full doses of erythromycin).
It's always cleared the problem. And yes, the mites have recurred in time but I don't blame the meds, it's whatever unkown way they get to our kids. Bedding I expect, I use newspaper, I expect some mites will survive from the tree to the mailbox...
Sure not saying it's better than Revolution tho as I've never used that. Never needed to, Ivermectin worked so far. *cross fingers* knock wood*

Back