Intros with Archie~Foot biting update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I came home, I took a peek at the boys and found them in the igloo together . . .

cd01b774.jpg

b366c920.jpg

9f6d1a50.jpg

3ac6f6ec.jpg

Ernie is quite the character. I bet the two will soon start to get along better.
Next time, intros need to be at least an hour in duration. Any shorter and you won't really know how they will be together. After about 30 minutes rats get tired and you want tired. You want to see their reaction when they are tired and getting stressed... that's how you know how things will go once they move in together.

Glad to hear things are moving along. Any time one of my ratties got hand/foot injuries with bites, it was from interaction through the bars. They seem to be much meaner or more territorial when interacting through the bars, instead of face-to-face. I learned not to allow any contact unless they are already living together. I had to block off the upper and lower levels of the CN with a thin board to prevent bites. And don't get discouraged - it took weeks to integrate my two groups. Don't put a time limit on intros - some are quick, and some are looooooong...

Things with Archie are getting better, at this point I just want him to get back to 100% health then just let them all live together. He's got so many owies right now that when he's with everyone he just shuts down. He was all alone last night and when I checked on him this morning he was back to himself and came out from under a blanket to check me out.

So, after giving Archie some time to heal up from his owies (as well as a funky neuter incision issue). We had Archie hang out with the whole crew . . . after observing the group, it's official!!!

ERNIE IS THE FOOT BITER!! :gaah:

He kept going for Archie's feet!!

Since the girls are so nice to him, Archie is now living with Lilah (our solid black youngest girl-she was the one who had 13 babies in January and is very nurturing and sweet).

The next plan is to do a scary bathtub watery playtime for Archie and Ernie (with banana baby food snacks and a very small "island")

That's a good plan... doing real intros with Archie and Ernie. But I think Ernie is just being a right bugger so things should improve fast.

Lilah and arch are friends, but Archie and Mousie are in love. They've been laying together almost all day.

Back