Introducing the new Baby to 3month old

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo2701

So after the introduction process (neutral ground, spending time in each others cage, and in the cage together) with my current rat Boo 3 months old and the new baby 8 weeks, which went well i put them in the cage together hopefully permanently. They have been great except for Boo has been trying to play but the little one has been squeaking a lot. I'm assuming Boo is trying to assert his dominance by pinning the baby down and pulling him. The baby squeaks and Boo does stop. I'm just not sure if I should be separating them for now and just continuing the introduction process? or to just wait it out? Cause neither of them is getting harmed.

So after the introduction process (neutral ground, spending time in each others cage, and in the cage together) with my current rat Boo 3 months old and the new baby 8 weeks, which went well i put them in the cage together hopefully permanently. They have been great except for Boo has been trying to play but the little one has been squeaking a lot. I'm assuming Boo is trying to assert his dominance by pinning the baby down and pulling him. The baby squeaks and Boo does stop. I'm just not sure if I should be separating them for now and just continuing the introduction process? or to just wait it out? Cause neither of them is getting harmed.

no reason to separate them, this is perfectly normal and kinda cute too! I love it when I've got a squeaker. Some rats are more vocal than others and enjoy expressing themselves this way.

If you hear the baby screaming, then you want to investigate and make sure there's no real fight, but squeaking when being pinned is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about

sounds like things are going very well! congRATs!! :)

Thanks for the response. I figured it was normal, just wasn't sure cause he was also trying to pull him. When the baby is climbing the cage Boo tries to pull him closer by grabbing his scruff. But i'm assuming he just wants to play with the baby lol.

Boo is being maternal and possessive when he yanks the baby towards him. It's pretty normal. Keep an eye on them but so far, I'd say it's going good.

Things seem to be going good. Boo has backed off from the baby a little and will stop when the baby squeaks too much. The baby is still squeaks though when Boo walks near him when he is eating or has food. Maybe the baby is just possessive cause he use to have competition for food before I got him. They also still aren't sleeping together or anything but the baby is fine with being in the same house or beside Boo.

Pretty sure Boo was also trying to encourage the baby to come out and play outside the cage. Since Boo loves to come out and play but the baby is still a little nervous.

I decided the name the baby Po.

It sounds good! Some rats are "talkers" as I like to call them. They squeak for every little thing so I wouldn't be worried with Po protesting all the time. It's very normal.

Back