Introducing scared rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

Lynx is 16 weeks old, at 12 weeks he went from mum to his new home, he got the company of two boys 7 weeks old (from a colors only breeder, so they might be lunatics). Just got Lynx, he is sooo afraid of rats, he's big but when my tiny Angus looked at him (no moving towards Lynx or anything) he cryed like someone was tearing him apart.
This will take time, is it stupid to put Lynx in a cage and put him close to my boys cage? Can't figure out if that'll scare him off completely or not.
Luckyly he is very sweet with humans.

I would think to do normal intros with him and hope that he'll come around. My Captain was like that too, very scared, he's still not 100% normal so I'm getting him neutered and hope that will help calm his nerves.

Following the normal intro steps will probably help him get more adjusted to the presence of your rats. Might show him they're not all that bad. Some rats are just extremely skittish about some things, or incredibly submissive. Just take things slow, see how it all goes. I've seen other rats that, for no reason, were just very vocal about interacting with other rats. Squeaking, squealing, and sometimes screaming just because another rat touched them. So it does happen.

I was so sad when I got him, he cried and cried and was so scared, but it's going well and fast, yesterday he was on the couch with his brother, but when brother went into the transport-cage he sure did get upset. Will work on it, and feel more sure it'll end happily

Lily squawks when Olivia or Pearl even touch her. She even squawked at me today and at Ruby. She just likes to voice her opinion. I guess she's become really talkative in our hearing range.

My three Wildthings used to be very vocal. They would scream whenever Sam or Jevy would go near them. I finally had all three neutered and things have settled down quite a bit. Just give your rattie more time, and good luck, the poor sweetie.

I have vocals too :lol: but this one was freaked out when a rat looked at him (a tiny baby) and the sound was the scared sound not the 'I'm talking' sound, that's why it made me panic a bit; but it's going fine he'll end up happy in my giant rat-pile

Back