Introducing a new rat into a mom and babies?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

Ok I am trying to plan ahead with my cage situation and get ready for when Thumbelina's babies are 5 weeks old. I think I am going to put Thumbelina and her girl babies in one cage. But I have a lone female I would like to put in with them as well. Do you think Thumbelina will be receptive of this? Will she still be protective of her babies at that time? The other rat is very well natured and I have no worries about her being aggresive at all. I am just worried how Thumbelina might handle it. Anyone ever tried this before?

Staci

Once the babies are 5 weeks old, I don't thin Thumbelina will still be protective, in fact, she'll probably want to be "away" from them at that time. lol

Pipers babies are 4 weeks today and she doesn't mind anyone picking them up or even when Sydney, my other rat, held one down and made it cry.......but she loves being with them still.....she plays with them and grooms them and seems to love to cuddle with them.....
So Thumbelina probably won't be protective at all...........If the other rat is friendly she might even getting a bit of a break while they play with the other rat.

Back