I'm getting 2 nekkid girls!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

40 pet rats ended up in the Multnomah County shelter in Troutdale (wherever that is) cause their human was evicted from her home.

Now I hope it's ok to post the info I got without contravening any rights rules...

38 original ones now due to illness. the owner had the rats in 2 cages. sexes were together so we are getting babies. they are not being good parents,so baby survival is not high. some of the rats have skin issues (some are by breed, hairless, but that is not the issue, scabs and sores are.) These rats don't like to be handled,(they will bite you!)We have limited space, but we don't get many people who want rats for pets, and they want ones they can easily handle. .....The cages they came to us in were so dirty with layers and layers of filth, we could not get them clean and had to dispose of them.
Obviously, this complicates issues a bit. If some of the babies can be saved, that would be good, but I think most of the adults are a lost cause.

Simone at SARS is going to get 2 older girls to me!
If anyone can do anything for any of the others contact http://www.smallanimalrescue.org/contact.html

I'm getting pictures in a few days! and I have to think of names. I already know what I'd like to name them, so I don't need ideas tho, thanks :)

Lucky you! I know you will take excellent care of them a let them know that they deserve love and care. I'm so jealous! I want nekkids!

Oh... :(
I wish soooo, so bad that I could help them! Damn it. I do have room for one more rat, but only one more. The cage calculator says my cage is good for six rats, and I have five. I have a spare travel cage for QT too... I could help one, if there are any singles that don't need to go as pairs. However, my ratties are in their own bedroom where their cage door is open 24hrs a day and they run around and climb and play. Would their own room account for extra space? They only use their cage for sleeping in.
What do you think? Would 24 hour free range time justify seven rats housed in a cage for six?

CongRATS on the new additions!

Are all these rats in need of experienced homes? Will they need to be socialized and learn how to be with other rats too?

What an awful situation... It's a good thing you can help.

Aw. ratamataz :hugs:
If you could take one you know who to contact - Simone (littledevils) at SARS.

Ihave 4 older girls (well 3, and one sickly kid of unknown age) so I know passing will come too soon. I just put them from 3 cages to 2, I was gonna keep the living room cage for a change of turf for them but it's empty now, so I have a spare cage, so if my numbers exceed my comfort breathingwise & timewise it's only temporary...)

Everything seems so little to give up to save just one more life, eh?
Bless your heart.

Well you know all I know Jo from the info I got and shared here.
Yes, it sure sounds like they will need a lot of patience & understanding. More projects than pets at first I guess.
I expect they are better with other rats than with people tho since they were all in 2 cages but they do bite humans? I'm sure you know better than I do what to expect.

With my vet fund demolished I only want kids who wouldn't do any better than me medically if I didn't take them. I don't want to deprive any kid of anything. I can't give it all vet-wise, but I can do 100% as far as time and love and respect and space & fun and good food... And I'm an expert (personally experienced anyway :wink: ) at emotional troubles, and I've never had a kid yet who didn't come around with patience & love. It's a very rare kid that doesn't come around for anyone who gives them that, I think, they are loving by nature.

ratamataz said:
I talked it over with my other half and emailed Simone about the babies. :mrgreen:
Really? Well good for your heart! :heart:
If you get one of these kids would you send me a pm cause I'm not always on the ball? Maybe you and I can share tears & cheers about the joy of winning over scared bitey kids?

Fidget said:
ratamataz said:
I talked it over with my other half and emailed Simone about the babies. :mrgreen:
Really? Well good for your heart! :heart:
If you get one of these kids would you send me a pm cause I'm not always on the ball? Maybe you and I can share tears & cheers about the joy of winning over scared bitey kids?

For sure :D

Further to this

and then this (which I should have posted in this one instead of yours Ratamataz wasn't thinking worth a damn and I'm sorry)
http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8150#8150

Summer (named in honor of mamarat's Summer) & Sumone (for Susan & Simone of SARS who tumor-freed Savanna) are coming to me Sept 15!

No fault of SARS, I couldn't make up my mind between wanting these beauties or caring for more needy kids.. But when my Savanna died I gained her private cage space for any kid that might need to retire here and so the big living room cage was free for the the young desireable immodest ladies.

After Savanna died I wrote Simone to ask she reconsider me if the pending adoptions didn't work out (I believe I whined too. I didn't beg but if I'd had a hat in my hand you could fairly have construed it as pleading). She did better than that, she contacted people and told them about my Savanna's passing and how much I wanted these girls.

First thing this morning I got a pm - quote: Summer & Sumone. They are yours. I talked to the parties who were interested and said that you lost your Savanna and one by one they said that they'll take others.
(Hope that's not a contravention of some kind of quote laws, I'm just gushing happy)

Do you believe that? I know that everyone wants to go out of their way to help the critters. I see people go above & beyond and give up time, comfort, income, their own needs, even relationships to help the critters on ratsites..... and I see people doing it to help other people help the critters, but I don't often see them doing it just for another person's feelings so much. Maybe I should pay more attention. I feel an incredible gratitude. And honestly my esteem for humans has risen.

I have to re-examine things, maybe I've been too distrusting of people.
So I have food for thought for the next two weeks.
Til Sept 15, then my girls will be home.
I felt like I had died inside a couple days ago. But as ratties teach us - The Show Must Go On! Start the music!

I love you Savanna baby. :heart:

mamarat said:
God and MacKenzie work in mysterious ways.
:D You think so Jeannine? I really do think they're working in tandem now, and I don't think they'd bother with me if they weren't expecting me there one day, right?
Not that I'm assured of heaven and can screw up now, just I had the greatest desire to screw up in youth, and did, but if I'm safe so far i think I"m good....

I can't wait to see your beautiful new girls!!!!!!!! :D :D
I'm confused tho - there is nothing on my post? What are you apologizing for? And anyway there would have been no need to apologize if you had posted something silly girl! :cheeky:
I'm so happy for you and your new girlies!!

Back