I'm confused (and Losing Sleep!!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sausage4ever

Now that I'm back at school the rats are back nin my room, which means I hear them all the time.
I'm a pretty light sleeper so I can heard every rustle my pocket pets make...this is not an issue the issue is the fights!!

I thought my boys were fighting because I limited their food now they're free-fed HT blocks.
I thought it was due to mites but I spent a month treating them with Ivermactin and now they're clear.

However last night I was deeply disturbed from my rest upon hearing rats thrashing all around the cage and squeaking loudly (if the lights were on I can guarantee you a rat ball), so after yelling at them to stop I turn on the lights to check for any injuries.

I find that Buford has a cut/bite on his belly, and both the SKinKids have old scratches with Caillou having a day old bite wound on him as well. Needless to say I was not happy. I'm wondering what this could be caused by?

Alvin and Buford turn six months tomorrow, and the SKinKids turned 1.5yrs on the 18th. I can say that I know that it was Buford and one SKinKid involved in the fight because Bu has been acting all stand-offish (hunchy back and shovey) if the boys are playing with him how he wants. Most days we don't get any fights but at least once every two weeks this has been happenning...may Buford need a neuter or are my boys just playing rough. The bites are nothing like what Marcel or Gaston did to the SKinKids but the one was clearly quite deep whenever it happened.

I'm not sure if it matters but the bite was near the shoulders on Caillou.

I've got 11 boys now 6 months old... and I'm getting what you are talking about. I've got Matou and Rocher going in for a neuter tomorrow but I know it's not necessary, that it will pass. It's not aggression it's more like very rough playing, very much males trying for the lead role. Gashes and cuts and bites are normal in a colony of males although quite disturbing to us humans which is why I'm having my two neutered tomorrow and another two to follow in a month or so when I have more funds.

Ohhhhhh, I remember those nights with Boe & Hugo. I hope they determine a leader soon.

If it's normal, then I'll get over it. I like not paying for unnecessary neuters because I feel the money could be better spent on tumour removals and other surgeries (which I shouldn't have to deal with).

Watch for serious injuries...testicle bites or close to...those mean business...back bites are part of the dominance thing, but belly and testicle...watch out!

Minor gashes are ok but like lilspaz said watch for deep ones especially those on the gonads, or close to it. You'll have to check your boys everyday for those serious wounds.

I've been on the look out for that, if I had saw any of that I was booking a neuter no questions asked.

Edit: I got Buford neutered as a just in case, I figured this may save us some sadness if his hormones get out of control one day and I'm not around to stop it. He seems much happier and play less roughly now that he's been de-nutted.

Back