I'm a rat foster mom!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyR

A friend of mine referred me to a rescue (not one who specializes in rats... just happened to have some come in) that had a couple of PEW boys who were in special need of some extra love and socialization and I more than willingly agreed to do it. In talking to the rescue, it turned out there was actually a whole litter of PEWs that needed at least a foster home. 12 of them.

I agreed to foster two of the boys and two of the girls.... and then I went to pick them up yesterday. There were five boys and seven girls... fortunately were at least separated! But their cages were filthy and stinky and all they had to eat was some cheerios and goldfish crackers. They look to be about two, maybe three months old, and didn't seem like they've been handled at all. They were on Aspen, but it was so dirty, the smell was...well...it stunk.

Well, of course after seeing that, I couldn't just take two of each of them. So I told them that if they needed me to, I could foster them all. Of course they jumped at it, and asked if I had my own cages or needed to take theirs. I had two clean travel cages in the car, which I went and got, and transferred the kids, who immediately snuggled in piles in the fleece. They said if they had any more rats come into the rescue they would call me.

Getting ready now to go move them into larger cages. They ate well when they got home, and then snuggled back under the fleece, so I didn't want to disrupt them twice in one day.

oh thats so exciting! lucky bunch of babies!!

Reminds me of my first foster family - Ophelia and company but there were only 5 girls and 3 boys all pews too!

Im so happy you've got them out of sub-par conditions. Its so unfortunate when you KNOW the shelters WANT to do the best for them, but they just dont have the education or the confidence....

Cant wait to see pictures of them!

First update.... there are not seven girls. There are nine!!! I wasn't counting when we moved them into my travel cage, but I was counting just now when I moved them out of it to make sure I got all the little snuggling squigglies out of the fleece. I counted to seven and there was another rat sitting there. And then another. Oh well....what's two more? :rathugz:

Definitely only five boys though!

Yeah, it is unfortunate when the shelters trying to help them just don't know what to do. It was obvious that the lady there liked them. They just didn't have the time, resources, or knowledge to deal with that many of them. I'm just glad I could help.... the shelter and the rats!

Pictures soon, I promise!

when you think about it, its really kinda frightening that they didnt know there were 2 extra girlies kickin around!

Good thing you thought to double check instead of just count to 7!

Oh wow... what a fantastic thing to do! Such lucky rats, I'm so glad they'll be properly looked after with you... Can't wair for pictutes!! Post a PEW ratpile!! OOOOooo exciting!!

Thanks guys!

These little ones are soooooo sweet. The girls tried to pull me in the cage by my finger tonight when I was petting them. The girls are not hand shy at all anymore, except when I pick them up. But then, all my others have been that way at this age, so they are right on track.

The boys are still a little more shy, but are doing well too.

Latest posts

Back