I think my little girl has a problem......

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlytwirly

I got two new little bubs 3 weeks ago. They are both Black downunder rexs. A girl and a boy (total cuties!) anyhow, the little girl Cinders is starting to worry me. She's in a huge cage with 7 other girls all roughly around the same age (7-12weeks) and her behaviour has been a little strange.

She wasn't overly shy when I got her but it took her a good two weeks to start interacting with her cages mates. She'd just sit by herself in the little hidey house and not move all day. She's REALLY preoccupied with food and now spends a good deal of my time sitting in the food dish. She's always one of the first to come running when I go to the cage and if she gets hold of my finger she thinks its food and WILL NOT let go... i've tried squeaking, distracting her etc and she still does it.

She's really thin and despite getting lots of good food is still really small and skinny.

Tonight I caught her bashing her head up against the 3 water botttles in the corner of the cage. She seemed really distressed and kept bashing and bashing until I reached in and grabbed her (an then straight to the finger).

Do you think she's got mental problems? Maybe just not "wired" together properly?

Her brother is lovely, extremely friendly and snuggly.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I worried she's going to do herself an injury or is upset about something.

My little girl:

117_0898.jpg

That is very strange. Could it be the other rats don't let her eat? Try feeding her alone so to make sure she gets plenty. Does she know how to use the water bottle?

When I first got our girls I got a water bottle that was too big and they couldn't push the ball enough to get the water out. That might be it, the others may be fine but maybe she has problems with it.

Oh shes definitely eating! She can out wrestle anyone for the choicest tidbits :) I'll watch her a bit more to make sure she's drinking properly. The bottles are the little ones (mouse size) so that the young rats have less problems with them.
Shes kinda trying to climb up the side of the cage between the water bottle and the wall and to do this she's bashing upwards with her head over and over again. :wallbang:

Poor little mite!

I've seen rats do this when they had respiratory issues. I'd bring her to the vet just to get a full check up done. Just to ease your mind that nothing really big is going on.

I tried the small dish of water this arvo and the girls had an absolutely wonderful time splashing around in it! It's too cold for little wet ratties to be wandering around so I had to take it out. She IS drinking out of the bottles though, I saw her while I was watching the splash fest.....

I haven't caught her head bashing again (thank goodness) and I think I figured out why she's so grabby for food at the cage door. It seems very important to her that she can gather as much food as possible and put it into her food dish. I noticed if the other ratties have stashed something somewhere she will collect it and put it back in the dish. I'm going to make doubly sure that there is always some food available.

Thanks for the advice :)

Maybe you need some more quality time together, I mean for a few days and see how she is
Then if she doesn't seem better, tehn go to the vet, I have a mouse called Twinkle and she's mad, I gave her a yogot drop, and gave her more attention, and she seems so much happier.

Give her some little tipbits as well while you're at it.
That will make her feel happier too, and warmed, loved.

Try it but Ii'm not really making any sence I know but what else can I say I'm a pasifist, ( A person, taht is a peacemaker ) I try, and if i don't sucssed I try something else, but Try it PLEASE! :cuddle:
See If that makes her feel better ( That's all I'm doing is just saying is to just make her feel loved) and tehn if she's not getting better, then go to the vet they'll know what todo and to know what's best.( In a good why of course).
Bye :hugs:

Back