i think girly has head tilt(UPDATED with a video)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

well i have noticed girly has been leaning her head to the left side a lot lately :sad3: so now or tomorrow im going to be calling the vet to get her checked. it was hard at first (and still is) to see it because she is so active and always on the go. for us we would rather get her checked and be safe then sorry. even if it is nothing.

im wondering is there anything i should know about with the vet? what meds would he give her if she does have this? shes 4 months and 4 days old to be exact. i will try and get a video up to show you guys also. its just so hard to tell if it is this or not.

I know for me too, a few times, I had to do a double take because I thought that a rat might have a head tilt but all along it was just normal. Also I have noticed that rats with red/pink eyes seem to have it but they are actually only doing their swaying.
When you go to the vet, and he does think she has a head tilt, he should give Baytril. Some vets will also give pred. But many vets won't like mine. My vet believes the pred interferes with the abs.

we do have baytril here(pill form) but im too scared to give it to her and thats not what she needs or something.

on another note we got an app today for her plus i am able to bring in monkey(brother) to see about his whizzing :happydance:

jorats said:
I know for me too, a few times, I had to do a double take because I thought that a rat might have a head tilt but all along it was just normal. Also I have noticed that rats with red/pink eyes seem to have it but they are actually only doing their swaying.
When you go to the vet, and he does think she has a head tilt, he should give Baytril. Some vets will also give pred. But many vets won't like mine. My vet believes the pred interferes with the abs.
OMG thank you! I've been wondering if Glinda has something wrong neurological because she sways (like she needs it to balance) but this helps.

Typically resp. infections need to be treated for at least 3 weeks. If you don't get rid of the problem completely they come back, the rat goes back on meds for not enough time, and they become resistant to the meds. Then you need stronger and stronger meds to make them better.

Hmmm.... she does look a little tilty to me. It's hard for me to say, though, as I've only ever seen really bad tilts :(

i don;t know what rat that is but it can't be girly. girly is a small little baby, she can't be that big already! :p

but yes, that does look like a head tilt to me. how long has she had it now? did the vet give you a steriod too or just the antibiotic?

yeah he only gave her the baytril i did say about the steroid but he said to use that and see. but im going to be keeping her on bayril for 3weeks not 10 days i also told him this.

she's only 4 months old and yeah she's a little one :giggle: she seems to stay at that size too (to me anyways) the brother is a bit bigger then her, well chunky lol looks like he has flubber on him.

i wondered though if they were mini guys or something because my Himalayan are 6 months old(maybe a little more now) and they are pretty much full grown.

forgot to say i only started seeing it about 3 days ago(so right away when we saw it she was off to the vet)

a steriod may not be good for a 4 monther anyway, not sure on that though, but it is pretty strong medication. in anycase from what i have read, after 24 hours from the start of the head tilt a steroid will do little to fix the tilt. don't hold me to that though, its only what i have read.

but even if she left with a perma tilt, its not a big deal. i have 2 here, one is quite bad a tilt due to my fumbling with a stubborn ear infection and neither have any mobility issues or seem to be in any pain from the tilted head. chancey's eve seemed to get less over time as he became more comfortable here.

that is one thing about tilties though, watch them when they get excited, they'll roll. its cute but can also be dangerous if she rolls out of your hands or during a bath. other then that though, there seems to be no problems from a perma tilty.

Back