I really need help right now..my rat is making a funny noise

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Ok, so my rat had surgery for a tumour removal about 3 weeks ago. After the first week, she started making this funny, clicking sort of noise. Kinda like a pig maybe? Anyways, I took her to the vet and the vet said, she didnt hear any weezing or see and red discharge and she was eating drinking and acting normaly than i shouldnt be worried. But over the past few days its gotten louder and sometime near the "end" of this noise, she does a really high pitch squeaky one. Then she'll start up again about 15 min later. One night I had a hard time getting to sleep because it was so loud. My Mom said that its a just a new noise she has devoloped. It's getting annoying. What should I do? The vet said she didnt want to give her any antibiotics that she doesnt need. Is there anything I can do? Is there REALLY something wrong?

Rats shouldn't make any noise other than the bruxxing which is the teeth grinding. I'd be bringing her back to the vet. It's not sounding good, especially with the high pitch squeaky/wheeze one.
Surgery is stressful on rats and this could have caused a myco flare up. I'd ask for doxy to start.

Well, her booboo is almost all better, like, one more day and it will be perfect accept for the baldness. I know its not good but my Mom still tells me not to worry and I do worry. If I take her back to the vet and ASK for something, will she give it to me?...if I pay of course. I really want this to go away. Is there anything I can get in stores for her?

I'd propably ask the vet for som antibiotics..
We use baytrill here, but it sounds on Jorats that Doxy probably does the same..
If it's a myco flare up, you propably have to trat here for some time woth it.
Did you give any antibiotics after the surgery? and for how long?
I'd certanly take a talk with the vet.
By the way... does your mother have any experience with rats?

No she does not. And she didnt take any antibiotics after surgery, but she did give her one shot of anybiotics right after the surgery. Thats all I know. so if I ASK for the antibitics, will she give itr to me?

Well all you can do is take her back in and say 'look this is the sound she is making, it doesn't sound healthy, what can I do, I think she needs something to help her' I don't think the vet should refuse to give you meds. But it depends.

It's always Murphy's Law that they sound perfectly find when they go to the vets.

Some vets will ... some that don't know much about rats won't.
Take info. with you on rats and meds, dossages for antobiotics, etc.

I did take her to the vet about the soud she was making but the vet couldnt here because my rat didnt do it!! lol. So, I should take her back and get her meds?

Yes, by all means take her back. If you wrote down each time you hear noises, how long they last and what they sound like, your vet ought to take your concerns into consideration. Even if her lungs sound OK (my vet says that it is really tricky listening to rat lungs with a stethoscope, easy to make mistakes) you have lots of evidence that something is not right. My Corrie made noises occasionally for a while, and they stopped once she'd had a course of Baytril/Doxy. I had another rat who made no noises but whose breathing suddenly became much faster than before. Her lungs sounded fine for a long time (I kept taking her in), and then she suddenly got laboured noisy breathing that can't be properly fixed. I think that she suffered irreversable lung damage before she made detectable sounds. So in future I will be more cautious and preventative.

Ok, so I read my Mom your replies and she says if your (as in me) that worried, we can take her back to the vet. I dont want to go back to the vet and find out that she doesnt want to give me meds..again. So what should I ask/tell her? Thanks guys, you are really resuring.

Like I said before, go back to the vet, tell her the sounds have not stopped and it doesn't sound good. That you feel there is a problem. Explain the sound to her. That might help.

I agree with LA and your mom... go back and explain to the vet the noise. Or, is there any way you can find another vet to get a second opinion?

We do have lots of vets around here but she seems to be the best. For an office visit, the average price around here is about 90$ and she only charges 40$. Other vets were saying that the surgery is gonna cost about 450$ and she only charged my 150$. Shes really nice and so far I like her. I think she will give me meds if I ask for them. I think the only reason she didnt give me meds before was because my rat just had surgery and the meds would be even more stressful for her. Thank guys! =)

It's usually the other way around, vets give meds after surgery because the rats is stressed. Stress can cause a myco flare up which is probably what happened. Your vet doesn't sound all that rat savvy but I bet she will learn in time, especially if you persist. :thumbup:

Ok. Thanks...I think she just started because shes very young too. I still think she has a lot to learn but she really loves her job and I can easily see that. Thanks for your help guys!!

Back