I need help with medicating a rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi

Does anyone know how to effectively hold a rat so that I can medicate him directly into his mouth. Normally I mix the meds in with something yummy and they hoover it down. Unfortunately this guy is too ill to enjoy his food.

I hold them on my lap facing away from me. i have the syringe in my right hand ready to go or at least close by. I bend down over the rat and lift them up a little so their hind feet are still on my lap but their back is pressed firmly against my stomach/chest, you can even straighten up a bit more when they are gently pinned to you like that. I move my hand up so a few fingers are on top of the front paws/legs (they can shove a syringe away really quick :roll:). Then I put the syringe in the side of their mouth on a 45 degree angle behind their teeth and squirt in the meds firmly.

I hope this helps...good luck Dewi, kisses to the sick foster when you are done. :(

If I have a stubborn rat, I like to burrito them.

done.jpg

Thanks guys, this really helped. It was still a struggle (it only took me 15 minutes :? ) but I was able to give the boy some baytril and diuretic which will have to do for now. I'm so glad I've got another week and a half before work starts, there's no way I could do this along with everything else in the morning.

Back