I need Advice ASAP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexandraBoo

My poor boo is not suffering, but he is slow as can be, HE is stil eating, and walking around, having no problem jumping up on the shelves and he is having no problems cleaning his face.
I noticed he has stopped grooming himself. I have him on anibiotics and just treated both my boys for rat lice.. Lovely Buggies those are. I know they have taken alot out of my old man, and thus causing him to be weaker than usual. his breathing is good, but he seems to have little episodes where he breaths crackly, then all of the sudden he is fine for hours. It only happens rarely.
HE seems to sleep alot, and he is more puffed up than normal.... his fur looks fluffy... more than usual. and he still has bad breath. I looked in his mouth thouraghly I see NOTHING. I looked behind his teeth, under his tongue, his cheeks There is nothing. he is still boggling and bruxxing like crazy. He is just acting OLD. could someone show me a video of an old rat, im not sure how they are supposed to act, and its confusing to me. is he supposed to be slow, and low energy? He seems to walk funny, and his hygien has seemed to take a sudden drop to the dirty department. I have been spunge bathing his bum frequntly.... He has no penis plugs. Other than that his ears are clear and clean, no head tilt, and his eyes are clear.
The one thing that has happened is a sudden weight loss, but he hasnt been losing anymore since i noticed. I need ideas for healthy fatty foods for him. he needs to put the weight back on, he is just so frail. He has never ben fat but never this thin. Im worried.

He sounds like an old boy. Everything you've described, you described my Rufus, a wonderful agouti boy, started to lose weight, very slow, not as clean, slept a lot too. But he was a happy boy right till the end with his buddy Jasper always by his side.

They really do tend to slow way down as they age, yet are still happy and otherwise healthy.

You might just be sure he's getting enough fluids and foods he likes to eat. They do tend to lose weight when they are elderly, but sometimes a bit too much. We give our elderly boys some a/d (canned high calorie cat food from the vet for about $1.50 a can) mixed with fruity baby food and ensure. It makes a nice yummy (and discusting smelling) mush that they lap right up. Scrambled eggs, avacado and cooked pasta are yummy soft foods they enjoy too. I've also moved their water bottles down a little lower so they are easy to get at, or offered a bowl of soymilk or oatmilk a few times a day too.

Do keep an eye on that crackling noise though. Perhaps a heart check might be a good idea with your vet, just to be safe.

Back