I have strep throat, will my rats be affected?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

I was sick yesterday and this morning my throat has been sore so there is a chance that I have strep throat. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon to be sure. But, if I do have strep throat, will I have to stay away from my rats or would I be able to look after them? Debbie D. says in her book and anyone with strep throat should stay away from rats because if your rats get a strep infection, it is usually fatal in about 3 days. Is this true?

Ratlover101 said:
I was sick yesterday and this morning my throat has been sore so there is a chance that I have strep throat. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon to be sure. But, if I do have strep throat, will I have to stay away from my rats or would I be able to look after them? Debbie D. says in her book and anyone with strep throat should stay away from rats because if your rats get a strep infection, it is usually fatal in about 3 days. Is this true?

This is a common mistake but the strep pneumonia is the killer and contagious to rats. Strep throat is a different bacteria altogether.

So am I able to play with my rats as I normally would? Can I kiss them or should I just play it safe and no kiss them until I'm better? (tehe, I love kissing little ratty faces!)

Just for safety's sake I would say no face kissing...its probably just fine but I still prefer not to kiss them for a few days. Thats just me, I don't kiss them when I have a cold. LOL

I actually use kissing as a socialization technique. No scary hands involved and if you kiss a back going by you are still interacting with them.

A lot of us kiss our rats. :)

Are you kidding I kiss my rats to death. when they run by they get a mooch or I will pick them up kiss their soft little belly and send them on their way. My girls get TONS of kisses whether they want them or not =)

I may have a newer book .... as mine says that tho the organisms are "susposed to be different", there have "been some suspicious cases" so she suggests caution, ie staying away from your rats.

I have had strep and continued to care for my rats as there was no other option, and they were fine. I did change my behaviour a bit, just in case - I handled them as little as possible, washed my hands more and no kissing ratties while I was sick :lol:

Ok. That makes me feel a lot better. Darn it! I'm gonna miss kissing my ratties for the next few days :sad3: But dont worry, when I'm all better, they'll get there share of kisses that hey misses the last few days. :cheeky: :heart:

Back