I had a weak moment and came home with two ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

So I was only going to the pet store to see if they had a snuggle safe and one of those pumice stone things that someone else had in their cage. I found neither so I was looking at the rats 'cuase I just can't go in there and not look. And I know it supports evil and so on but I couldn't help getting these two girls. They were so curious and so sweet and the lady said they would be going for snake food. In fact she said if I took them right now and saved them she would give me them for the price of snake food so I got the two for only 10 bucks for the both of them.
I had checked them over at the pet store and they seem in good health. Ang and I think we're going to Name the Black berk girl Alice and the Agouti hodded girl Willow. Alice is soooo curious and was all up on me and trying to get out of the cage when I opened it up lol
Willow is more timid doing the testing nibbles but will lick ya after it. I have slight problem though...I'm either being paranoid or I'm still just a novice at this (which I am lol , but I'd like to think I know quite a bit for someone just starting out). ANyways I think Willow may be pregnant :shock:
As I looked at her more closely she kinda has the pear shape and her tummy is a little firm, more so then Alice and my other girls. It was hard to get pictures of her but I have a few. Any help on the matter would be awesome lol
Also I'm not to sure on the age. Of course the pet store didn't know. But I would say 7 months?

Alice the very sociable new rat lol
100_1815.jpg

100_1809.jpg

100_1801.jpg

Willow. Pregnant or not?
100_1807.jpg

100_1806.jpg

Willow's tummy, not the greatest shot. I'll try to get a better one soon
100_1805.jpg

YAY!! Congrats, Lindsay!! You must be so excited! Just make sure to keep them separated from the other 4 girls for at LEAST 2 weeks! ^_^

It's hard to say about Miss Willow but she does look like she has a tummy on her! Were the girls in with the boys at the shop? *Hope not* I also hope that Alice isn't pregnant (if they were with boys). If only there were a way to make rats non sexual! LOL!! :lol:

The new ladies are VERY VERY cute!!

thanks! They were with just girls but who knows when they first got them. There was a new momma there with babies I would say a few days old. So cute.
Yeah I plan on keeping them in their own cage for that long 'cause I want to make sure Raina is good and healed up from her operation. I really hope she's not pregnant, babies would be a lot of work and I would have to for sure adopt them out 'cause Ang and I said our limit was 8. They will be my last pet store by though. We'll be adopting rats from now on...I just couldn't help but get them lol they're my birthday gift to me.

They are both so sweet...but I have a weakness for agouti hoodies......especially named Willow.....that was the name of my heart rattie.....

Oh I've been there and done that! To be honest I'd do it again if I encountered pet store rats in what I perceive to be a bad situation. Although, I do have way to many rats at the moment, so at this stage I can't take *any* rats in.

I hope Willow isn't preggers, unless you're secretly hoping for little ones ;).

They're beautiful, btw.

Dewi

im sooooo excited to meet my new girls this weekend.. (as linds and i are curently doing the long distance thing because of school- and she has custody -lol) .... it was funny on the phone. . linds started the convo with a "dont be mad k......... "... and i knew.. so i said right out "you bought a rattie didnt you?" :p lol.. i was excited because hey.. new ratties.. - need i really say more.. but was like.. "um.. i thought we were adopting??... ok.. we cant have more than 8 ok... 8 is the limit!!..."... why do i have a feeling its not gonna stop at 8?? lol... they are just too cute for their own good and linds and i are weak... i dont know what to think about willow being preggers??... on one hand i feel like slapping my forhead and giving her "the speech"(willow ..not linds lol)... and the other hand i feel like jumping up and down and squealing like a kid cause baby ratties are soooooooooo cute with their big feet and big wobbles...
but ya.. alice and willow will make a great addition to our fam....
and i cant wait to see our other girls of course.. im missing them like crazy too! :D

Lindsey,

Most of the rats in Pets Unlimited are sold as snake food.
They are also fed alive to the snakes in the store.
Pets Unlimited also puts small animals alive into the freezer so they can sell them as frozen snake food (according to a former employee who quit over this).
As you know, any animals you buy at Pets Unlimited will just be replaced by more animals being bred for sale.

I have been told by staff at the Fredericton store that their customers do not have a problem with the things they do or they would not shop there.

Pets Unlimited does not always separate rats by sex. Many, many people have bought girl ratties from the Fredericton Pets Unlimited and found that their rat was pregnant - I know as I have been involved in helping to rehome many of those babies.

If I were in your position, I would have taken those two girls too.
That is why I can not go into pet stores that sell animals ... Hurts too much ...

And I refuse to support those types of stores by buying anything from them. They earn most of their profits by selling supplies for animals.

The girls look very sweet and sounds like they will have a great life with you. :)

Back