I didn't expect this so soon! (Another lump)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so feel your pain. My first girl Lilly has a lump right in her arm pit. They really do appear overnight, I give my girls the feel down just about every night to check for lumps or injuries and on Friday night she was fine and on Saturday morning there it was plain as day and about the size of a grape.

I also, know how you feel about the money situation. I started a vet fund and put every dollar I can into it (change too). I would eat bread and butter forever if it meant saving one of my girls.

Totally agree with you there Melissa. :) Unfortunately since I already did go for one surgery and the vet is telling me that chances are these tumors will keep coming back, it seems more justified to save the money for future vet bills.

I tell *everyone* who is thinking about getting into rats to put away money in a vet fund, because they will most likely need it. :thumbup: That is great advice and I think all of us here can relate!

Lise, my vet said yesterday that this one huge lump Chailyn has wouldn't be hard to remove since it's not attached to any organs. But of course it's up to me. Great! :? Of course that made me re-think but again, I decided not to do it. It's just too risky at her age. Then my vet had an emergency so the other vet came in and she said that often they don't die from the actual surgery but their immune system just can't take the stress. She just did surgery on a rat who had respiratory problems. Several weeks before the surgery they treated the rat with antibiotics. Then they did surgery. She did well but 5 days later she got full blown pneumonia and died.
And since Chailyn had pneumonia in June (and just a week ago she started sneezing) I will not put her through it.

He also mentioned that when a tumor grows large on the lower belly area, they can often burst.
Didn't you mention she has one down there?

Back