Human - rat - illness

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

All my rats are sick and now I'm a little down too (fever, pain in bones and a little influenza like, but not very sore throat) - as the breeder where this rat-epidemic started have all the humans sick too, I'm starting to wonder, are there anything else than strep that can be exchanged between rats and humans? found something about rat-fever, but don't know if it's a joke or something

Very little can be passed back and forth. Rat bite fever is after a rat has bitten you, Strep Pneumonia is a possibility, and ringworm are the only ones I can think of.
Hanta virus is only wild mice and rats.

Have been bitten when I've been given medicin - I'm not exactly good at holding them and some don't want the medication. As I'm not very sick, I don't think of hanta

You probably have whatever the breeder has, the person that is......it takes you a few days to actually get sick from the common cold when you first come into contact with it.

Oh Bati, I can't remember the last time I felt this bad for someone :cry:
Losing your babies and continued worry about the ones you have left, and now you're sick too with so many needing your care. You make sure you look after yourself just as well as you do them. How is hubby, is he able to help out a lot?
My heart so goes out to you and you & your kids are the top of my prayer list.

Rat bite fever isn't a joke but it is rare.

Here's a list of zoonotic diseases that can be passed between rodents and humans:

Salmonellosis
Yersiniosis
Plague
Tuberculosis
Leptospirosis
Lyme Disease
Relapsing Fever
Campylobacteriosis
Melioidosis
Tularemia
Rat Bite Fever
Pasteurellosis
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Rickettsial Pox
Murine Typhus
Dermatophytosis
Venezuelan Equine Encephalitis
Hantaviruses
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
LaCrosse Encephalitis
Rabies
Acariasis
Ticks
Fleas
Babesiosis
American Trypanosomiasis
Giardiasis
Leishmaniasis
Capillariasis
Trichinosis
Angiostrongyliasis
Cestodiasis
Sparganosis
Schistosomiasis

Fun huh? I'd be willing to bet though that most of these are really rare.

Good thing I didn't see that list before going to the doctor, got some medication, was a long forgotten thing breaking out, I'm a little better now - never got more ill than I could think 'how cool to call work saying I'm not comming because of rat fever', have found one in Norway and one in England who's had it, so it's not completely impossible :?

Back