Howdy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodin

Hi, my name's Cassius.
I'm a 17 yr old boy who recently(maybe a month ago) bought myself two adult boy rats from my local pet store(after reading about how unethical most rat breeders are in my area anyway) I understand that most people frown on buying nearly animal from petstores and for good reason but while looking for supplies I came upon these two beautiful boys among a bunch of babies and I really felt like no one else would buy them so I decided to go against what I was told and picked them up. I named them Twitch and Dexter, they're lovely and incredibly active. They love to run around their cage (20x20x40high) which I really hope is big enough and they snuggle and sometimes drink water from the bottle together. I'm very excited to have them as a part of my life and they have me doing things that surprise myself, like making/sewing fleece pads for the levels and bottom of their cage. They aren't the only pet I care for in my home my family also has a goldendoodle named jack, my sister owns a guinea pig named cinnamon(primarily her responsibility but I top up her hay when I can and watch over her during play time occasionally), and I own three tarantulas Nightcrawler, Elise and Heimerdinger. I hope I'm not looked down on for being younger or buying from the pet store because I do my best feeding my boys as good as I can and housing them to the best of my ability. I change and wash their fleece 2-3 times a week and feed them oxbow.
Actually speaking of food, the pet store I bought my rats from was feeding them hamster extrusion and while I was gathering supplies I bought Oxbow from the looks of it the contents are similar protein, fat, fiber and vitamin wise so as long as they are eating the oxbow they should be fine right? I bought some extrusion and have been putting in a 70/30 mix just in case but they seem to be eating both just fine.

Hi, welcome and congRATS on your new babies.
That cage is definitely big enough for your boys and both of those foods are good for them too. You could continue giving them the mix that way it will give them a variety of sorts.
Sounds like you make and awesome pet dad. :) Good to have you with us!

Back