Howdy! New hairless rat owner.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny

Hello all! I am a new proud owner of a hairless rat, quite young but I am not quite sure how young (they said just turned old enough to leave the mother. I am a long time pet lover and owner, but new to the world of rats. She was very much an impulse buy while visiting a new pet store, and I am excited to learn much from all of you established owners here. :)

I am already learning a lot from these short days of ownership. The girl at the store was a bit misleading, she persuaded me to get her a smaller cage because she told me that she would probably not want to climb the multi layer cage, also I now know I need to get her a companion. When I went to get her a friend I they told me all the others were still not ready to leave the mother yet (I guess this is second group of babies from my baby). So I am spending much time with her to keep her company. Her name is Mini, and she is such a sweetheart. >w< Sorry for the long introduction. :emb:

Welcome Bunny!!
Naked ratties are unique and loveable.
You are right about getting her a friend.
Have you looked in to adopting one from your local Humane Society?
Naked's may have eye issues and the like so be prepared for vet visits if needed.
I found for my two that pillow cases and sheets were better than fleece and wood shavings for bedding.
Because they are naked they may need a pet safe covered heating pad.
Sorry I'm blabbing but you will find a lot of help here.
This is my Olive. <3 She's been gone awhile now. :(

This is Randy Butternubs.
He passed a few months back and now I am rat less at the moment.
I have had a lot though.
Feel free to ask questions. :D

mamarat and Ratamuffin - Thank you!

Ratamuffin they are darling! Sorry they have passed on, hopefully there will be more rats in your future to bring joy. :)
Good to know about the eye problems, I will keep an eyes on her. I got the number for a few exotic pet vets in my area, I just have to make some calls to see if they tend to rats. Better find out sooner than later I suppose. Thank you for the bedding tips! I'll try them. I do have a heating pad that I no longer use for my snake, I don't know if it would be too hot for rats though. I'll look into it. (He eats only frozen and is in a separate safe location though! No rats in danger here.)

I didn't think of a shelter, thats a good idea. There are quite a few in my area so who knows?

Bunny said:
mamarat and Ratamuffin - Thank you!

Ratamuffin they are darling! Sorry they have passed on, hopefully there will be more rats in your future to bring joy. :)
Good to know about the eye problems, I will keep an eyes on her. I got the number for a few exotic pet vets in my area, I just have to make some calls to see if they tend to rats. Better find out sooner than later I suppose. Thank you for the bedding tips! I'll try them. I do have a heating pad that I no longer use for my snake, I don't know if it would be too hot for rats though. I'll look into it. (He eats only frozen and is in a separate safe location though! No rats in danger here.)

I didn't think of a shelter, thats a good idea. There are quite a few in my area so who knows?

rattamuffin? :giggle:
Lol that made me smile.
I live in Toronto Canada so I can't help you but there are plenty of people on her that can.
I have no idea about the heating pad as well.

Naked rats need fleece blankets with yesterday's news in their litter pans :)

Shavings & dust can irritate their eyes.

You should post pictures :D

:welcome4: to you and little Mini. It's a shame that pet stores know so little about rats, and that's why I find this forum so important. I've learned so much here over the last few years.

She and her friend will absolutely love climbing in a cage, and two rats will be twice as much fun for you, too. Enjoy!

Welcome! I've never had a hairless rat but they are just gorgeous! :heart:

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I will be sure to post lots of pictures and look forward to seeing all you guys pics too! :)

Back