How to make a really safe play time area?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselo285

Hi everyone,

So, playtime for my girls pretty much means running around the outside of their cage, playing on my lap or riding on my shoulder or my sons shoulder. I really wanna figure out a way to give them real "out" time....but I am worried about doing it.

When I had my boy rats I did not live in my current apartment and had a room where I was able to let them loose without too much worrying. Now I am constantly worried. This apartment just has a lot of spaces that I am afraid they could get under and then I wouldn't be able to get to them. This worries me on so many levels, especially with the new baby girls and with my nervous older female. The other two usually come to me when I call them so I am not as worried about them...but I am still worried.

I am also afraid they will somehow figure out a way to get into the bathroom or the boiler room, both of which have sticky traps down to catch cave crickets (eeew). I doubt they could actually get there but it worries me. I can stuff towels under the doors that lead to there, but I am still worried. I am also worried that if they get under the large desk in my living room area that I will not be able to get them back and I have no way to get under there (and therefore no way to know what is under there) and no way to move the desk (it takes up a ton of the room and weighs a ton)

Any tips/ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks so much!

-Laura and the girlies

Coroplast or Corrugated Plastic is basically just plastic card board.

This thread show's hopefloats' playpen. Basically you just ziptie and binder clip the panels together to form a play pen. The panels need to be tall enough so that the rats can't jump out.

Latest posts

Back