How to help a mourning rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

Well, my Pingu didnt survive the sudden illness and has been gone for 48 hours. My two babies dont notice, but Pingu's sister - Allie - who have never been seperated thier whole lives doesnt seem right. She doesnt use the whole cage anymore, never really goes down to eat or drink and just lies in a hammock all by herself.

How can i make sure this stress doesnt bring on something? With the meds given to me for Pingu, i have put all my rats on now, i dont want to waste any and if any of my rats had symptoms, these meds should help. Allie willingly eats the treats i offer, but i desperatly want her to eat good food such as veggies and fruit and my homemade mix.

Give her time to grieve, lots of love and attention.
Hand feed her foods including dissolved lab blocks or baby cereal so she gets the fluid.
Does she live with the babies?
If so and she doesn't perk up, you may need to get her an older girlfriend.

You are giving rats that are healthy, left over medication?
Not a good idea to give medication to rats that do not need them.
And you do know that dose size is based on the weight of the rat.

SQ said:
Give her time to grieve, lots of love and attention.
Hand feed her foods including dissolved lab blocks or baby cereal so she gets the fluid.
Does she live with the babies?
If so and she doesn't perk up, you may need to get her an older girlfriend.

You are giving rats that are healthy, left over medication?
Not a good idea to give medication to rats that do not need them.
And you do know that dose size is based on the weight of the rat.

Yes i do know the dosage for each rat, and they all sound a little sniffly since the 24hour transportation a week ago, i would have brought them into the vets in a few weeks anyways to get the meds to clear it up before it becomes out of my hands...exactly how pingu went :sad3:

I agree, lots of time and extra attention... hopefully it won't take her long to bond to the babies and not miss her Pingu so much.

Ya, Allie and Pingu were inseperable:

020509154453.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

I'm so sorry you lost your little one. When Pinkie died, we gave Molly and Izzie a lot more attention than we normally had up until that point - basically, I was there from when I got out of school (noon) until Jeremy got home (usually 6pm) and we gave them both attention until bedtime (midnight).
Maybe it was a little overboard :giggle:

If you have little ones, I would give the mourning one the most attention. Carry her around, have her watch tv with you, have her on your shoulder as you cook (even as you brush your teeth for the first while lol)... anything she can do with you, especially relaxing activities. Always offer her good food and water, and she will eventually pick up.

I agree with above, in a month or so I would get her an older friend, someone she can lounge around with.

I hope everything goes well :heart: :heart:

Back